Logo

Flywheel/flexplate spacers?

BrianWestlund

I have a 272 interceptor with a velvet drive. the drive plate barely engages the input shaft of the transmission. I was told I should put spacers between the flywheel and drive plate. I can't find any information on this setup. The bell housing is correct and the flywheel was attached to the engine. The driveplate is the standard triangle. Has anyone else come across this. A picture would be awesome. Thanks

i would search around and see if there isn't a damper plate with more applicable dimensions before trying to shim it off of the flywheel...

If you can't find anything, try calling Hale Marine, in warsaw, VA...they have been doing reverse gear work for decades....

i would search around and see if there isn't a damper plate with more applicable dimensions before trying to shim it off of the flywheel...

If you can't find anything, try calling Hale Marine, in warsaw, VA...they have been doing reverse gear work for decades....
I called Hale marine today and he said the motor is low enough power (170 hp) that tthe driveploate engaged 3/8" to the input shaft should be fine. I still don't like that answer. I can shim it but i'm getting close to the inside of the bellhousing. Does anyone else have theirs shimed or possibly a different drive plate?

I'm with you on the don't like aspect...

The 'standard' BW dampers I've seen for the past 35 years have all been full circle....do you know who's damper (the OEM) you currently have?

Is it original? in serviceable condition? how many splines on the input shaft of the gear?

Last edited:
Back