Logo

Power trim not going up

Williampardell

Honda 50. Power trim does not raise but does lower from control handle. But it will go up and down by using switch on side of motor. Is the switch in control handle broken?

Yes, it could be the switch but it could just as easily be the wiring to the UP side of the switch.

Those wires can break, unseen, inside the insulation where they flex with the movement of the handle. And, sometimes, a connection can simply come loose. If it's a broken wire, it could be repaired pretty easily. Although, if you find a break in one wire the other two might need attention as well.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/50hp/bf50a6-lhta-2006/handlebar

You don't list the year model but the link above is for a 2006.

Item 48 is the tilt switch and, as you can see, there are three plug in connectors that you may be able to access for testing the condition of the switch.

The male connection on that three wire harness is where battery power comes into the switch and the two female connections are for the up wire and down wire leading to the tilt module.

Good luck.

As stated, it could be the wiring, but my bet would be it's the switch. That would be my experience anyway.... If you touch the hot/12v lead coming from the motor to either of the other 2 wires, the motor should go one way. Touch it to the other and the motor should go the other way. If it does that, the wiring is fine.

Item 18 in the link below is the only tilt switch I find listed for the 2002 tiller model.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...50hp/bf50a2-lhta-2002/engine-cover-lower-case

Does that look like the switch that you say is functional?

And, are you positive about your year model?

Honda was making changes in and around those years and you may have gotten an "in betweener" production year model.....or.....something like that.

Can you list your frame number? That would help narrow it down.

Between the three of us I'm sure we will figure it out.

Diagnostics are going to be the same for all years. Let's not confuse the issue. It's a 3 wire system. Switches are going to function/test the same, no matter the year, or if it's a tiller or used with a remote. The switches themselves are actually all the same! Even the cowl mounted switch and the one used in the shift/throttle handle are the same switch The only difference I'm aware of between any of them is the brackets that hold them (that are easily swapped) and how they plug into the harness. That'll either be 3 bullet connectors or a plastic 3 wire plug. Whatever! Need to do that little bit of troubleshooting to zoom in on the issue. We can focus on how to proceed from there....

Back