Logo

SportJet 175 XR2 Stalling under Constant Load

Hi:

I have a new to me SportJet 175 XR2. This engine was quicksilver remanufactured and professionally installed a few years ago. This was all done by the previous owner. He had blown the old engine in a unfortunate oil spilling event that led the engine to running out of oil. The old owner says it never had this problem until after the rebuild.

The engine starts awesome, idles awesome, runs awesome: except when it will suddenly stall under power. It will stumble a little bit for a few seconds, then it dies. I can be WOT, half throttle, or barely any throttle. It can be after an hour, or two, or almost right at the start of my day. I cannot see any pattern to any of it. When it happens, if feels like it's run out of gas. I'm almost positive of it. Sometimes I can start it up right away and go again, but most times I have to go pump the bulb a bunch before it will get hard again. Then it starts and goes again every time for sure.

Here's what I've done:

1.) I've tightened the hose clamps on every fuel fitting on engine, paying particular attention to those on the low pressure side of the main fuel pump. I don't think there was a problem there.

2.) I pulled the fuel pickup from the tank. It's is a plastic looking straw cut on an angle on the end with a metal screen over top of it. I didn't see any obvious cracks, and the screen looked good. There is one threaded fitting down there and it didn't have any thread sealant on it, so I took care of that. That's the only thing I could potentially see wrong with the low pressure fuel side of things. I was thinking maybe air could be getting in those threads. But I took the boat out the other day and it didn't fix the problem

3.) The fuel lines go from the tank, to a bulb, to the electric fuel pump, to a water separating filter, then to the main fuel pump. That water separator is the highest point in the system, and the fuel needs to travel 3 feet to get there and back again to the fuel pump. That filter was added at the same time the engine was rebuilt, so I'm a bit suspicious of it. Could that be a problem?

4.) When I pump the bulb after a stall. I think I can feel air in it.

5.) They screwed up a bit when they put that water separator in. The fuel lines are kinda tight going to it and back to the engine. It's new line, but it's grey stuff too. I can pump through it no problem with the bulb, so I don't know if this is an issue or not.

6.) There's no fuel leaking out anywhere. So if this is a fuel issue, it's gotta be on the low pressure side.

7.) When it runs. It runs awesome, and it runs awesome 99.99% of the time. And even after it messes up, I'm back 100% almost right away. I think this eliminates any issues with linkages and settings, or carbs, or ignition.

8.) I have heard of this issue where this particular engine has icing off at the carbs in certain weather. I wouldn't say I won't have that problem in the future, but I don't think this problem is that problem. I've been out in super nice dry weather a bunch of times and get these stalls. Also, it starts up and runs great every time after I have an issue.

Here's my best guess at what I think I should be doing: I should probably be rebuilding that main fuel pump, but on the outside it looks really good to me and I just doubt that's the problem. I have an electric inline pump that I am also strongly considering putting in. That's a bit of a band-aid solution, but I feel like that will do it. I'm also going to replace a bunch of the fuel line, especially the grey stuff.

Is there something I might not be considering? Is this a commonly experienced issue with these engines? Any help will be much appreciated.

SportJet1.jpgSportJet2.jpgSportJet3.jpgSportJet4.jpgSportJet5.jpgSportJet6.jpg

Interesting. You mean this one right?
attachment.php

My understanding is this one only runs when the starter is engaged. Can it somehow become a restriction or something?
SportJet8.jpg

Or maybe you mean this one? It is a bit of a mystery to me....
SportJet9.jpg

Last edited:
Yep the first one. It has a check system in it and if mechanical fuel pump pulls internal check closed..bingo no fuel.

Back