Logo

2007 Mercury 40hp 2 stroke broken telltale hose elbow under cowling

feck

Hi

My 40hp 2 stroke has its plastic telltale hose elbow broken by someone trying to pull the hose out without realising there was a cable tie wrapped around the hose securing it to the elbow that screws into the water hole on the side of the powerhead. There is a part of the elbow still stuck in the hole on the powerhead. Various stupid ideas from others on how to remedy the situation has probably made it worse. I now have a replacement elbow, but cannot access the hole to remedy or even identify correctly the problem. This is because the 2nd part of the cowling which sits at the bottom of the powerhead, rises above the hole, so have no room to maneuver any tools to try and fix it.

Basically this cowling needs to come off, or at least lowered but it has no seams and is one full wrap around piece. There is another cowling just below this that has one screw. This should be able to come of by unscrewing the screw and taking it off which should then give access to the bolts holding the powerhead on, and i'm imagining also this upper/middle cowling.

I would imagine that the female thread in the hole on the side of the powerhead that the elbow sits in would need to be either rethreaded or chased out.

I'm hoping i dont need to remove the entire powerhead just to get at a water hole that is 2inches below the top of this cowling.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether this seamless cowling can be moved down without removing the powerhead. The problem itself seems to be a fairly simple thing to remedy, its just getting at the water hole. I cannot believe i would have to remove the powerhead for something that potentially just needs rethreading.

I have the engine now out of the water and would like to attempt this myself but dont want to start until i understand if the powerhead needs to be removed. That sort of job would probalby be outside of my skillset and dont really want to pay such exhorbitant costs on an engine of this age.

Can anyone help me in understanding what needs to be done?

Hi

My 40hp 2 stroke has its plastic telltale hose elbow broken by someone trying to pull the hose out without realising there was a cable tie wrapped around the hose securing it to the elbow that screws into the water hole on the side of the powerhead. There is a part of the elbow still stuck in the hole on the powerhead. Various stupid ideas from others on how to remedy the situation has probably made it worse. I now have a replacement elbow, but cannot access the hole to remedy or even identify correctly the problem. This is because the 2nd part of the cowling which sits at the bottom of the powerhead, rises above the hole, so have no room to maneuver any tools to try and fix it.

Basically this cowling needs to come off, or at least lowered but it has no seams and is one full wrap around piece. There is another cowling just below this that has one screw. This should be able to come of by unscrewing the screw and taking it off which should then give access to the bolts holding the powerhead on, and i'm imagining also this upper/middle cowling.

I would imagine that the female thread in the hole on the side of the powerhead that the elbow sits in would need to be either rethreaded or chased out.

I'm hoping i dont need to remove the entire powerhead just to get at a water hole that is 2inches below the top of this cowling.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether this seamless cowling can be moved down without removing the powerhead. The problem itself seems to be a fairly simple thing to remedy, its just getting at the water hole. I cannot believe i would have to remove the powerhead for something that potentially just needs rethreading.

I have the engine now out of the water and would like to attempt this myself but dont want to start until i understand if the powerhead needs to be removed. That sort of job would probalby be outside of my skillset and dont really want to pay such exhorbitant costs on an engine of this age.

Can anyone help me in understanding what needs to be done?

Here is the part of the cowl that needs to be lowered to access the water hose elbow BOTTOM COWL - Serial Range Mercury Outboard 40 (2 CYL.) 0P325500 & Up [BEL] | Crowley Marine

Back