Logo

7.5 6545907 saved from scrap yard

aquarius23

Hello All,
I just picked up this little motor from a guy that was going to scrap it. I got it for very little. Brought it home put it on my motor stand and gave it a bath. Wow, it came out really nice. Good paint and great decals. I started by checking the spark which was good. Then I checked the compression 120 top 122 bottom. I hooked up a fuel line to the fuel pump and pumped it up. I noticed gas running out of the carburetor but tried to start it anyway. Motor started on the 2nd pull, ran about 10 seconds and died. Gas pouring out of the carburetor but the motor sounded really good. Removed the carburetor to see what's going on in there and found that one of the little stands that hold the float in place was broken off. Now I am in need of a new to me carburetor. Does anyone know of a shop or salvage yard that may have one. Mine is the walbro 8783A 4 should say wmb-4 on the carburetor. If so please let me know. There are other items that are missing but, I can find them new. I don't want to buy anything until I know I can find a carburetor. I have tried to find one local but no luck so far.
Thank You

Can you drill and tap the carburetor body ?------10-24 screw or so.-----Driil a hole in the screw / stud for a pin.

I believe I may have that carburetor, just need to check my ser. # tomorrow.

carb # 1364-8783A 4

Last edited:
Thank You Racerone. Great idea. I know exactly what you are talking about. Will take a look tomorrow. Thanks again.
Carogator, that would be great. I will try what Racerone suggested but if can't make it work it would be nice to know you have one. Thank You

OK, my motor is a 75 7.5 hp ser. 3806200. Same carb. You can look it up on this site to confirm. Just let me know if you need it.

I am going to try to repair the carburetor I have using Racerones idea. It looks like I will have room to drill and tap a hole between the chamber where the fuel pump delivers the fuel and the passage for the pulse that operates the fuel pump. Right between them is where I need to put it. We shall see.
Caragator, If this does not work I will be giving you a shout out and hoping you still have your carburetor. I decided to check the seals in the powerhead today. I removed it and made a plate and plugs to pressurize it. I sprayed the powerhead down with soap and water (heavy on the soap) set my regulator to 5 psi and gave a shot of air. What a great bubble making machine I have here. Leaks everywhere. I will be replacing seals, o-ring, gaskets and reseal the cases. Might as well check the reeds, hone the cylinders and throw on a new set of rings while I'm there. This cheap motor is getting expensive. It's going to take some time but, I will let you all know how it turns out.
Thanks

Jb weld MARINE will fix that carburetor. It holds up in fuel. Buy some and make a sample ball and drop it in a glass of gas and see for yourself.

Bigjohnson. Thank You for your input. The problem is that I don't have the little piece that broke off. It was just missing when I took the carburetor apart.
I have never used JB weld marine but, I have used a product called Marine Tex which works very well. I have a 1976 chevy pick-up that I repaired the carburetor in 1998 with Marine Tex and it is still working just fine. JB Weld Marine is probably just as good if not better.
Thanks again

Back