Logo

Mercruiser 7.4 Replacement/Upgrade

This is actually the way we all hoped it would go; you finding a good used engine and swapping it for your current lump. I think this is the best outcome as it saves you thousands and thousands and you will be happy with it.

The only easily figured out issue is the exhaust dumps...... I used 4" exhaust hose to connect the exhaust dumps to the exhaust pipe... See if the seller will give you the exhaust dumps with the 496....

Thanks so much guys. I ended up finding an even better deal. A 2018 Mercury re-manufactured 8.1 496 HO with 425 HP that only has 1 hour (boater ran it and decided to upgrade) and full 1 year warranty from an authorized Mercury dealer. It was more expensive but I feel much safer with the warranty and it being sold directly by authorized Mercury dealer and on top of that they threw all the rigging parts including a 3 3/4 inch exhaust hose in to make it work.

I thought about putting $$ towards a new boat but since the boat itself is in great shape this is definitely a much better option and now is the absolute worst time to buy a new boat as prices are through the roof.

Scott

Last edited:
Back