Logo

Nissan NS90A oil pump question

goodforbrains

Hi, I bought a very low hour ns90a. I'm figuring around a 1988. Serial #12934. It has been sitting for 3 years. The steering was extremely stiff as well as the tilt tube. I rebuilt the carbs with genuine Tohatsu kits. New plugs. Ran a small tank of 50:1 just to fire her up. I pre oiled the cylinders and turned it over by hand a bunch of times. I adjusted the timing and carb linkages as per the factory manual. She started right up and idled great. Lots of smoke at first, but she settled down after idling for a few minutes. Prior to starting, I bled the oil pump but the lines are old and oil stained, so I really couldn't tell if all of the air was out. Also it was difficult to even tell if oil was being pumped to the cylinders. Once she cooled for a minute I pulled the plugs and took a compression test. All cylinders were 120 psi. I was confident it was a good motor at this point. I took the powerhead off and pulled all of the midsection and bracket apart. I ordered all of the parts. I am now reassembling everything. New everything except for the head gasket. My question is how robust is the oil pump on these? My oil pump is the old style with 3 lines that run to the intake manifold in front of the reed valves. Somewhere around serial # 18000, Tohatsu changed the oil pump and intake manifold. The newer style has a single oil line that I think t's off with the fuel line before the fuel pump. Is there a benefit to the new style? Should I get a new style oil pump and intake manifold? Or just remove the oil pump all together and order a block off plate and premix? Any insight or personal experience would be great! Thanks for reading.

Thanks for your reply Paul. Ok, I understand that. I want to replace the oil pump then. 33 year old engine. Oil pump and intake manifold have been updated. Early style is no longer made. I guess I'll have to refit my pump and intake with the newer style. Unless someone knows of someone who has the old style or if you know of someone that rebuilds oil pumps. Thanks

Back