Logo

1971 johnson evinrude 85 hp

ufownage

I was wonderung if anyone can help me trouble shoot. I have 2 issues. issue number 1 I am not getting power through the starter solenoid. I have replaced the solenoid and it did not fix the problem. However I can by pass the solenoid and it cranks right up. Im think the issue is in the ignition switch.

Issue number 2. Im think its an electrical issue but do not know how to trouble shoot it. After about 30 minutes of riding The forward gear starts bucking, i put it into neutral and cobtinues to ride smooth back to forward and it bucks. Also reverse has stopped working but the solenoid is good. Any suggestions on where this short may be or what should be replaced?

Find the safety switch on the engine block.----Starboard side.----It has just 1 white wire on it.-----That switch might need internal cleaning or adjusting.-----Motor will not crank if throttle is advanced too far.------The forward gear is engaged with a strong spring.-----No electrical power to solenoids when in forward.-----I would take the lower unit apart for inspection / new oil seals..-----Sounds like shift piston is not moving properly in the pump bore.------Hydro electric shift is a wonderful and reliable system.----Easy to repair in my opinion !

Not so fast. I know the 1972 models had start-in-neutral controls, but not so sure about 1971. OR, it actually could have a 1972 control on it. Anyhow, I'm thinking a broken shift switch in the remote control. It happens. That might be the cause of both your starting and shifting problems.

When in forward gear there is no power to the shift system solenoids.----How many wires on the new shift switch ?

Last edited:
Back