Logo

40 HP, 4 Stroke, 4 cyl, had new powerhead replaced. engine idles and stalls

coasty14

Just replaced the powerhead on this engine. Had a con rod go through the block. Anyway, it starts right up, idles good for a few minutes and then acts like it is running out of fuel. The primer bulb is soft when this happens. I prime it back up and it immediately starts again. I can raise the throttle and it seems to run fine. Checked all the fuel connections, no leaks. ran it on a different fuel tank...no changes. I get no alarms at all. I do not have the diagnostic tool to check TPS or IAC. 2 months before a local shop can get me in. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Since it sounds like a fuel issue try having someone keep pumping the bulb slowly after you get the engine started. If it runs ok then the fuel pump could be kaput.

And keep in mind that it only takes one fuel hose with the inside coming apart to clog up and stop the fuel flow. If racerone's suggestion doesn't make a difference check the output of the fuel pumps, run the fuel into a can and make sure that the fuel pumps keep pumping, it could always be the electronics that turn the pumps on that is the problem.

And keep in mind that it only takes one fuel hose with the inside coming apart to clog up and stop the fuel flow. If racerone's suggestion doesn't make a difference check the output of the fuel pumps, run the fuel into a can and make sure that the fuel pumps keep pumping, it could always be the electronics that turn the pumps on that is the problem.

when I replaced the powerhead I installed a fitting where the fuel hose connects to the front of the cowling. The old fitting was a 90 degree fitting and could not find a replacement. I installed a straight fitting and replaced the fuel hose that runs from that fitting back to the filter. I believe I may have too much of a bend in that hose restricting fuel flow. going to reroute it and test run to see if that was my problem. Thanks for everyone's assistance, I will let you know how it turns out

Back