Logo

ignition switch woes

40hpjohn

Hi.
This question concerns a 1975 electric start Johnson motor. I decided to sell my boat and motor since I haven't used it for a few years. The motor ran great when I stored the boat.
I put the motor in a barrel of water and it cranked over fine. It didn't have spark. I made a flywheel puller and cleaned the points. Here is where my issue begins. There is a purple and white wire that wasn't connected to the ign. switch
and the A terminal didn't have a wire connected to it so I touched the wire to the terminal and the electric choke operated.So I attached the wire. I cranked the motor with the plugs out and both plugs had good spark. I put the plugs in and I left the key in the on position and then noticed smoke where a wire connects to the base of the electric choke solenoid. the solenoid was super hot. I turned the key to off and took the white and purple wire off the ign. switch. then I tried to crank the motor over and there's nothing. There is no voltage at the ign. switch. Now I think I know why the purple and white wire wasn't being used. So now I think its time to get some advice on my next step. If there's a fuse I don't know where it would be.

Thanks for your help

Writing this without benefit of a wiring diagram. So, does your motor have a separate choke switch, or has it been replaced with a push-to-choke ignition switch? As originally built, it should have a separate choke switch whereby wire connects the "A" terminal of the ign switch to the choke switch, another wire connects the other side of the choke switch to the choke solenoid. I believe the way you put it, the choke switch was energized all the time while the ign was "on". This would overheat the choke solenoid because it was not designed for constant duty. As built, the choke would receive momentary power only while the choke switch is held by the driver.

Fuse holder typically is located near the starter solenoid, in a red wire.

Seems the fuse didn't blow soon enough. Make sure you have the correct amp fuse in there. I have seen people jam aluminum foil in there too. That kind of heat may have damaged the ignition switch too. You can get a new one with a "push in key choke".

Back