Logo

Hello please read and help

fritzl65

[FONT=&quot]Hey All,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]my first post...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bote is 1986 Blue fin Sportsman 1900,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Engine is 2.3L[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Outboard is OMC Cobra.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I received this bote free. I know I know. TANSTAAFB, appologies to R.E. Heinleing for hijacking his[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]There aint no such thing as a free Lunch....[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]History:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Hasnt run in 3 years[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Previous owner gave it to a marina 3 years ago to get it running, they never did.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have done the basics;[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* New petrol, plugs, points, condenser, cap, oil, filters and wires.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Found 3x 4-40 nuts in the bottom of the Mallory distributor.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Found teflon tape in the 2BBl Carb.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]* Found loose bolts hold carb to manifold.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New owner then puts the hose on the lower unit and got the motor started, put it into gear and the shifted somewhat smooth....hurray we take the Bote to the lake, take her out for as few enjoyable moments, Bote gott up to a good speed, including minor wake hopping...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]then the water started flying... brief investigation yields freeze burst..[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bote limps back to dock.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]New owner replaces freeze plugs.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Once again the hose is put to the bote....engine starts idles great, a little on the high side, about 1000 RPM, shift into gear and the stuttering started....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New owner learns about ESA, and Cherry micro switches....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New owner cleans and lubes the 45517A2 ACTUATING LEVER ASSY & 45599 SPRING which was sticking and causes stutter...and under the hose now shifts smooth.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]With a happy and hopeful heart the new owner and his son put the Bote into the water... no acceleration...barely crept back to the dock...son was wide eyed with fear.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New owner scratches head...he recalls reading that water resistance to the props motion may influence timing and or points dwell time...[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]After this intro,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I am thinking that the engines timing an/ or the dwell may be off.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If I am on the right track here, am I correct in setting the dwell and timing whilst the prop is submerged?[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Can I put the prop into a large bin of water to simulate the lakes environment?[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I thank you all for your patience and any future help you may provide.[/FONT]

thats alot to absorb. the thing that jumps out at me is the tthe boat ran fine the 1st time out except for the water intrusion, so why would the timing and dwell be off now?
you can do both hooked up to muffs or in a large bucket. make sure it is submerged enough to cover the water intakes.

Use Muffs only the Cobra pump is in the upper unit and it will not prime in a large bucket and will burn up the impeller.
I think you are going to need a factory OMC shop manual, and the special tools for adjusting a Cobra shift linkage. There is too much to type about this but basically here are the overall steps:
with the drive removed, the height of the shift rod above the mating surface between the upper and lower gear housings has be measured, the spec is in the manual. This must be right or else all other adjustments will be off.
Next, drive is still off. Transom shift cable disconnected on both ends, you measure drag, should be 2.5 lbs or less (use a fish scale) if too high you need a new cable
Then assuming a good cable, make sure the bellcrank in the pivot housing moves back and forth easily, clean out the pocket behind it because it is prone to build up crud behind it which restricts its movement. Pack that area with grease.
Next you use the 2 special tools to adjust the transom shift cable don't even think of trying this with out them one holds the bell crank at 90* to the pivot housing, the other sets the length of the cable on the engine bracket.
Then the drive gets reinstalled, and you adjust the remote cable (this is a 2 cable system) as per the manual
Lastly you have to make sure the ESA works, it should only engage when shifting from in-gear to neutral with the boat in the water. Not on land, and not shifting into gear. What it does is lower the idle speed to approx 450 rpm to allow the clutch dog to release the gear. If it sticks on (like if those button switches wear out) the engine will act like it has no power.
OK that's all I have patience to type but you know what you have to do now. No shortcuts, no twiddling around you need the tools and manual and follow the steps....
I'm done....

louc
I have downloaded a pdf manual entitled OMC Manual.pdf in which chapter 8 details the upper and lower gear unit. The first page of this chapter shows a list of special tools. Is this the manual to which you refer?

is it a factory OMC shop manual?
does it show these tools:
shift rod height adjustment gauge
bellcrank holder fixture
shift cable adjustment gauge...
these are the 3 that you need to do it right.

It looks to be an official OMC manual pdf copy. No cover page. The pages show holes for inserting them into a binder and has references to OMC Service Centers, and parts manual.
the first page of chapter 8 details the following tools numbers.

OMCTools.jpg

Back