Logo

1977 140 hp Evinrude, no power, won't get up on plane

Fuel pump operates with PRESSURE from crankcase pulses.-----Fuel pump operates from just ONE crankcase.-------Fuel pump puts fuel into BOTH carburetors.

You guys do realize this is a troll at least I hope you do. A 30 yr "tech" who can't do the basics. Doesn't understand how a 2 strk works but can but can fix a car from the trunk release. How many dealerships do you know that will call an outside Mechanic BEFORE they call the factory techs. How many mechanics do you know who will pay someone else to fix their weedeater? If it walks like a troll and talks like a troll it must be a troll

^^^^+1 Danny fulla****. I found a Mike who owns a marine repair store in his area was gunna ring him but then realized i dont care.My boat goes like a scalded cat thanks to this site....

Yes, there was basically not gasket at all on the fuel pump. I also noticed what looked to be a chisel mark right in the inlet hole of the intake where the fuel pump gets it's air. Not sure what that is all about. Still waiting on my gaskets to arrive. Would it be OK to use a THIN coat of RTV on that fuel pump gasket, just due to the indention I was talking about that looks like a chisel mark? I was thinking just enough it doesn't squeeze any inside the intake to get distributed all over the motor...thanks

Yes, there was basically not gasket at all on the fuel pump. I also noticed what looked to be a chisel mark right in the inlet hole of the intake where the fuel pump gets it's air. Not sure what that is all about. Still waiting on my gaskets to arrive. Would it be OK to use a THIN coat of RTV on that fuel pump gasket, just due to the indention I was talking about that looks like a chisel mark? I was thinking just enough it doesn't squeeze any inside the intake to get distributed all over the motor...thanks

Might be able to use a bit of JB Weld to fill the hole but you would need to make sure it turns out FLAT so that gasket sits square.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing, just not sure how I can fix that dent where the gasket needs to seal. I could drill a small hole so the JB weld has something to stick to when I fill the hole. My concern with it is it will not stick to that aluminum intake and slide inside the motor. The dent goes from deep to shallow with the deepest part of the dent to the inside of the hole. So, if the JB weld doesn't stick good, it could easily slide right into the intake. I think my best option will be to garnet file that whole mounting point, bolt holes and all down a little until that dent no longer reaches the outer part of the hole, that way my gasket has a good flat surface to seal on. That mounting point extends out about a 1/2" from the intake, so I should have plenty of space to take a 1/32 off that surface, may need to use shorter mounting bolts but I'll see if they bottom out after I use my garnet file on the surface. I've done that many times on EGR valve mounts where they tend to get really chipped and rough from the heat of the intake.

Pics of so called ding.. and fuel pump would not operate with missing gasket. Motor would only run couple hundred feet till carbs ran out of fuel. Also you would have crankcase compression blowing around fuel pump causing oily mess.

Well, thanks for all your help guys...LOL...LOL...LOL. No help at all but anyway, installed the new gaskets, took my boat to the lake, she runs like a dream. Not sure which gasket or if more than one was causing the problem but to all the naysayers, getcha some of that. Leaking intake/ fuel pump gaskets and if it was up to a couple of you, I'd have this motor in a 100 pieces looking for the problem. Never been one to rub it in but a couple of you deserve it, be a man and admit it, you were wrong. Thanks for all the listening anyway and I'll still be praying for you all...God bless and have a great day....Danny

Well, thanks for all your help guys...LOL...LOL...LOL. No help at all but anyway, installed the new gaskets, took my boat to the lake, she runs like a dream. Not sure which gasket or if more than one was causing the problem but to all the naysayers, getcha some of that. Leaking intake/ fuel pump gaskets and if it was up to a couple of you, I'd have this motor in a 100 pieces looking for the problem. Never been one to rub it in but a couple of you deserve it, be a man and admit it, you were wrong. Thanks for all the listening anyway and I'll still be praying for you all...God bless and have a great day....Danny
I am glad you got your "trolling" motor fixed. Even a blind nut finds a squirrel

Back