Logo

Shift interupter switch won't move enough to engage the kill function

I have the lower unit off waiting for impeller, so I cannot tell if it's is engaging or not but I marked the shift linkage on the lower end.

When I engage f or r this linkage turneds almost 1/4 turn. One way in f and the opposite way in reverse. So I assume this would be enough to engage in the lower unit,

However my switch responsibile for cutting the engine temporarily when shifting, won't rock enough in f or r to activate the switch. The opposite of many people's problems where it gets stuck in the kill position.

The bottom cable seems to run through this switch an them to the shaft responseable for turning the lower unit shaft.

How can I adjust this.

I'll post pictures soon to show my issues

When shifting the first inch on my handle only rocks this interupter only slight out then back to center position, it's just not rocking far enough to engage my cutoff switch.

Only works when in the water under load and only when shifting OUT of forward or reverse.

Wont activate out of water and no load

Only works when in the water under load and only when shifting OUT of forward or reverse.

Wont activate out of water and no load

Thank you for the information did not know that, got the lower unit on tonight. Forward and neutral seem to go in and out of gear however reverse is clicking. It seems It's about one tooth off from engaging. Am I able to adjust the the reverse cable to get it to spin about 1/16 of an inch more so it will engage.

Also do you know if some of these are equipped with a hydraulic lock out when the engine is in gear. I tried to lower my unit and I popped the hydraulic line that runs from the lower unit to the back of the transom where all of the cables are. It has a hydraulic block attached to an arm that moves forward and backwards when shifted I assume this is a hydraulic lock out like a dumbass I popped that cable I heard there was something wrong but before I could turn it off it popped

I already replaced the other one because I accidentally cut it that one would be the one that runs from lower unit to the bottom of the hydraulic pump. I'm just worried I damaged something internal

Thank you for the information did not know that, got the lower unit on tonight. Forward and neutral seem to go in and out of gear however reverse is clicking. It seems It's about one tooth off from engaging. Am I able to adjust the the reverse cable to get it to spin about 1/16 of an inch more so it will engage.

Also do you know if some of these are equipped with a hydraulic lock out when the engine is in gear. I tried to lower my unit and I popped the hydraulic line that runs from the lower unit to the back of the transom where all of the cables are. It has a hydraulic block attached to an arm that moves forward and backwards when shifted I assume this is a hydraulic lock out like a dumbass I popped that cable I heard there was something wrong but before I could turn it off it popped

I already replaced the other one because I accidentally cut it that one would be the one that runs from lower unit to the bottom of the hydraulic pump. I'm just worried I damaged something internal

Ayuh,..... Sounds like an ole MC-1, the reverse lock,....

Don't try to trim it in reverse,....

Back