Logo

Change thermostat while in the water?

hingeman

I have a 1999 bayliner capri 2050 with a 305 v-8 2 bbl.
The boat is in the water. Is it possible to change a thermostat while it's in the water or do I have to put it on the trailer to do so? Thanks
It's sea water cooled.

Last edited:
You should pull the engine block water plugs and let water drain into bilge. This will reduce water level in block. There will be some water remaining but less likely to leak all over the place when thermostat housing is removed.

Also Do yourself a favor and take photos of the components and how they are assembled so when you put it back together you be back here asking those questions.

I've done this a few times and I have just loosened the clamp on the big hose at the circulation pump and loosened the hose just slightly to lower the level of water in the intake, then slide the hose back up and tighten the clamp. Important.... use a wood plug to put in the raw water intake hose to keep water from leaking into the boat. The raw water intake hose is usually below the static water line level so if it drops down in the bilge while you are working, water can come into the boat.

Back