Logo

1988 Evinrude 60 HP E60TLCCR motor trouble starting & maintaining an idle.

1/2 a Mechanic

Hello All... I am new to forum stuff and need advice. I have a 1988 Evinrude 60 HP E60TLCCR motor with the VRO removed and a standard fuel pump in it's place. This was done when the power head was replaced 6 years ago, My motor ran like a champ for 6 years then all of a sudden started to stall out. When it would start it would run fine at high rpm's but stalls at idle before I can get it into gear. Because the motor is old and many electrical parts are believed to be original I replaced the fuel pump, power pack, plug wires, plugs, solenoid and starter. None of that fixed the problem. A marina rebuilt all three carburetors and swapped out the new fuel pump for a VRO premix replacement this last week. Again that did not solve the problem. I had them put my new fuel pump back on the motor, paid my bill and took my pontoon home disappointed. The motor (when it will start) runs great at high rpm but again will not idle. The marina had problems with starting and running if the boat motor is on a angle (tilted up a bit on muffs or inclined at the boat launch. Does anyone know what the heck is wrong with my motor and how to fix it????? Please help.... Thanks' 1/2 a mechanic.

Reed valves ?----The motor has 3 sets.----One set for each cylinder.------One set with problems and the motor will still start.

At least it's worth checking out. Likewise possible air leaks .. crankshaft seals, etc. Is the engine sinking at idle?

Thank you, can you suggest a starting point and the areas I need to look at? Being only 1/2 a mechanic I seem to have taken the part replacement route which is expensive and hasn't worked. I did have it at a marine repair facility for 2 weeks but I don't think they really knew what to look for since all I got in return was a "bill".

Post compression test values.----Do you have strong spark on all 3 leads.----That means spark that will jump a gap of at least 3/8" ( 1 cm ) or more.-----Checked for water in fuel ?----Test run with another hose and tank.----Does primer bulb go hard ?-----Electric primer red lever in correct position ?----Flywheel key checked ?

Yes a strong spark shows on my spark tester and if using a screw driver to ground. I replaced all 3 spark plugs, the plug wires and installed 3 new coils and a new power pack. No water in the fuel, fresh fuel, the primer bulb does get hard and primes fine. I even switched fuel lines to make sure it wasn't the bulb. The electric primer lever appears to be in the right position. Question: If a reed valve is bad would I see fuel running out of one of the carburetors? Thanks for your help!!!

Post compression test values.----Do you have strong spark on all 3 leads.----That means spark that will jump a gap of at least 3/8" ( 1 cm ) or more.-----Checked for water in fuel ?----Test run with another hose and tank.----Does primer bulb go hard ?-----Electric primer red lever in correct position ?----Flywheel key checked ?

Did you forget to post compression vales you have on the motor now ?------Last months numbers are of no use in trouble shooting.----Forget to check on the flywheel key ?

Hi, thanks' for following up. I have not had a chance to check the compression yet because I have put the boat in storage for the season. I'll buy a compression gauge and reinstall the battery to do that. Same with the flywheel key. Hope this isn't a silly question but to do so do I need to pull the flywheel or is there another indicator?

Did you forget to post compression vales you have on the motor now ?------Last months numbers are of no use in trouble shooting.----Forget to check on the flywheel key ?

Back