Logo

any ideas on getting a starter out of a 5.7 when the bolt heads are stripped studs frozen?

stang32

Regular Contributor
i tried all possible ways to get this out. 1st off, the bolt heads are 9/16 heads, not 1/2 so the bolt closest to the bellhousing is impossible to get too with a decent socket and wrench is impossible. the other bolt, close to the bolock has the head stripped and before it stripped i could not budge it, even when i got my foot on the socket wrench and tried to budge it add on top of this, the starter is in a close area low in the engine bay, manifold is removed.
i do not want to pull this motor just to replace a starter but it looks like i may have no other choice. even if i wer to cut the heads of the bolts, the starter does not just drop down.

i tried all possible ways to get this out. 1st off, the bolt heads are 9/16 heads, not 1/2 so the bolt closest to the bellhousing is impossible to get too with a decent socket and wrench is impossible. the other bolt, close to the bolock has the head stripped and before it stripped i could not budge it, even when i got my foot on the socket wrench and tried to budge it add on top of this, the starter is in a close area low in the engine bay, manifold is removed.
i do not want to pull this motor just to replace a starter but it looks like i may have no other choice. even if i wer to cut the heads of the bolts, the starter does not just drop down.

i think you are pulling the engine honestly it will be less time than any screwing around you will try. If the heads are 9/16 i bet someone used standard 3/8-16 bolts not starter bolts that are knurled. You probably have a s show to mess with easier when engine is out.

i think you are pulling the engine honestly it will be less time than any screwing around you will try. If the heads are 9/16 i bet someone used standard 3/8-16 bolts not starter bolts that are knurled. You probably have a s show to mess with easier when engine is out.

Ayuh,..... No Doubt, pull it, 'n get it over with,.....
The smaller headed bolts only came to be, maybe 10 years ago,....
Prior to that, 9/16" was standard issue,.....

Bondo is correct, however, pulled a starter on a friends boat ( 7.4 inboard)... bolts spun right out however spend hours trying to get the starter to budge....ended up using a MAP torch on the housing ( top mount starter).

When I did that, had 2 extinguishers with me in bilge ( 38 Ft Chriscraft Cabin) and put water soaked towels on all the nearby hoses.... ran the bilge blower before, during and after... cabin doors (sliders) wide open ( and on a cold winter day) still needed hammer blows to break the starter free.... My advice to stang32.... pull the engine. It wasn't an option for me.

yeah, i agree, now i just have to sell the owner of the boat to give me the green light, i think she is all but done withe this boat as it is.

Back