Logo

9.5 Evinrude water pipe.

Nobrot

Contributing Member
Restoring a 1970s 9.5 Sportwin, good strong engine and all fully serviced except for the cooling system. She's fought me all the way but a new pump has been installed and all went back together....no water flow when running. ( it pumped water with the original impeller ) New pump re tested with a drill and working, water pipe fitted and still pumping water but still nothing when lower leg installed. The pipe itself came out and looks like a dogs hind leg and nothing like the ones on the data sheets and I cant see anywhere where the end should go at the engine base. It does feel snug in one position but still no flow....Do I need to get a new pipe and/or do I need to approach it by removing the engine...

The copper tube should not come out when replacing the impeller.----It is held in place up top ( push nut ? ) with o-ring seal.-----Quite a job to pull power head for the proper repair.----You might get lucky sticking it in from below.

The copper tube should not come out when replacing the impeller.----It is held in place up top ( push nut ? ) with o-ring seal.-----Quite a job to pull power head for the proper repair.----You might get lucky sticking it in from below.

Thanks, as I thought...the pipe is that twisted and bent it's difficult to even guess where it goes and I cant see using a torch anywhere where it looks like it might go. I think a new one would give me a fighting chance but cant even find a decent detailed diagram of where it should go.

I have about 10 of these motors !----So on this website you will find the parts for the water tube.----Lower unit group.-----Easy to find !

I have about 10 of these motors !----So on this website you will find the parts for the water tube.----Lower unit group.-----Easy to find !
Sorry to bump this thread but.....still cant get the pipe in from below mainly because I cant find the hole for the tube. Am I missing something or is this my winter project with a complete strip down. As I'm looking up the lower section toward the spark plugs where abouts on a clock face with reference to the drive shaft housing is the hole...????

Powerhead must be removed to install pipe from the top.----A winter project for you.

Ok...winter project turned into a sunday morning project. Tube inserted, O ring and washer replaced, the main gasket looked very good so cleaned and sealed and powerhead all bolted down, degreased and cleaned the inners of the engine cowlings and the engine itself, now the fun bit....Do I fix the 2 outer shells/cowlings together before dropping the powerhead in or do I do it piece by piece around the powerhead.

Back