Logo

62 Johnson 40HP OIL MIX THEN AND NOW ....WHY??

cws68

Well time on my hands I was thinking ( Yeah it hurts some times) Engine always used before me 1 qt 30w oil to 6 gallons of gas.That is a 24:1 Ratio right? Ok fine BUT NOW it's recommended to use 50:1 ratio with 2 stroke oil. Engine runs both ways BUT why 50:1 with 2 stroke oil?

Some one maybe can tell me why the big differences or should i try splitting the differences ? This boat sat since the 80's and the 50:1 works but could it do better!

Take a look and compare parts between a 62 model and 64 model of your motor.-----Hardly any difference and the 64 model was touted to run at 50:1 back then.-----A board room decision was made to boost lagging sales.-----The public thinks that a 50:1 motor must be better built then a 24:1 motor.----Note , this oil mix thing always promotes lively debate.

Well I learned something new thank you. A board room panel trying boost sales actually makes real sense by just keeping enough oil lube thru engine. I do know that not enough oil can burn up a motor so I think ill add a little more & see how she runs. Thanks

Back