Logo

Mercury 110 9.8 hp reverse gear seems to be engaged in forward and reverse

Mikesboat

Hi everyone, I’ve changed the impeller on my 79 Mercury 110. 9.8 hp. Working to reinstall foot and have had trouble getting it in the right gear. This is the third time getting it back on and I’m about to admit defeat. And that’s not easy for me to do. Forward has the propeller turning clockwise with just clicks ccw turns, and it is in gear ccw reverse. Neutral is free spin bot ways so good. Now here is the kicker. Reverse is in gear both ways. Verified by the turning off the drive shaft. How could I have a gear that spins in both directions. Is there someone here that can help me know for certain that if I manage to get this foot on yet again I will have turned it to the right gear for the shift lever position I have it in. Thanks so much for your time and expertise Mike

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I’ve changed the impeller on my 79 Mercury 110. 9.8 hp. Working to reinstall foot and have had trouble getting it in the right gear. This is the third time getting it back on and I’m about to admit defeat. And that’s not easy for me to do. Forward has the propeller turning clockwise with just clicks ccw turns, and it is in gear ccw reverse. Neutral is free spin bot ways so good. Now here is the kicker. Reverse is in gear both ways. Verified by the turning off the drive shaft. How could I have a gear that spins in both directions. Is there someone here that can help me know for certain that if I manage to get this foot on yet again I will have turned it to the right gear for the shift lever position I have it in. Thanks so much for your time and expertise Mike
Forward gear will click like that. It will lock one way and freewheel the other with clicks, It is the design of the forward gear and shift dog that allow that. The reverse gear will lock both ways

Back