Logo

1984 Evinrude 70HP VRO - Dies Under Load From Idle/Runs Fine at WOT (E70TLCRD)

kainakealoha

Greetings All!

I am grateful to be a part of this amazing knowledge base, and would any and all knowledge and insight in hopes of solving my issue(s).

Recently purchased a used ‘76 15’ Whaler Sport with an ‘84 Evinrude 70HP VRO (VRO dismantled).

After trial and error from knowledge found on this forum, I was able to get this in-operable motor running and idling, under no-load conditions (muffs).

Under load (in the river) engine dies from just out of engaged throttle (first notch on controls) to mid range rpm, every time. If I go straight to WOT, it runs SMOOTHLY and performs well.

Compression - 130,130,140?

Spark - SEEMS to have “a real SNAP” at the plug tips out of the cylinders AND jumping to the block with boots off, directly from the coils

Plugs - Champion QL77JC4, clean burn

Fuel - Primer bulb always firm, even after engine dying out

Carburetors - Removed, disassembled and cleaned with air and varying gauge, blunt-tipped wires per this forum. I BELIEVE I cleaned the “high speed jets” with a wire and carb cleaner under the center of the carbs.

I haven’t performed any other tests (no timing light), and did not perform a link and sync, as I did not have a guide for that, and if anyone has a great step-by-step for this procedure I would greatly appreciate it!

What would create these conditions? It seems to be fuel-starved in the low-mid range under load.

Any and all help is SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thank you!!!������������

Last edited:
Greetings All!

I am grateful to be a part of this amazing knowledge base, and would any and all knowledge and insight in hopes of solving my issue(s).

Recently purchased a used ‘76 15’ Whaler Sport with an ‘84 Evinrude 70HP VRO (VRO dismantled).

After trial and error from knowledge found on this forum, I was able to get this in-operable motor running and idling, under no-load conditions (muffs).

Under load (in the river) engine dies from just out of engaged throttle (first notch on controls) to mid range rpm, every time. If I go straight to WOT, it runs SMOOTHLY and performs well.

Compression - 130,130,140?

Spark - SEEMS to have “a real SNAP” at the plug tips out of the cylinders AND jumping to the block with boots off, directly from the coils

Plugs - Champion QL77JC4, clean burn

Fuel - Primer bulb always firm, even after engine dying out

Carburetors - Removed, disassembled and cleaned with air and varying gauge, blunt-tipped wires per this forum. I BELIEVE I cleaned the “high speed jets” with a wire and carb cleaner under the center of the carbs.

I haven’t performed any other tests (no timing light), and did not perform a link and sync, as I did not have a guide for that, and if anyone has a great step-by-step for this procedure I would greatly appreciate it!

What would create these conditions? It seems to be fuel-starved in the low-mid range under load.

Any and all help is SO GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! Thank you!!!������������

What is your model #? I don't believe 84 models had VRO

The model is E70TLCRD, I believe it says the VRO on the cowling, the motor was converted and/or uses mixed fuel prior to me purchasing. Thank you for asking and your assistance!

Would you think that adding an inline fuel pump, as I remembered someone had done to a motor on a boat I recently rode, on a similar motor (60HP 80's), would help? It seems to be a lean condition...

The high speed jets is actually inside the carburetor bowl.----Way inside behind the drain plug.

I appreciate your response and time racerone! I have read many of your posts on this engine type in question, all have helped me get to this point.

Do you happen to have a diagram of where exactly this jet/passage is located? Also, are you aware is there this jet has an adjustable screw/mechanism in anyway? I am GRATEFUL for any bit of your knowledge!

Thank you again!

It is inside the carburetor bowl !----Called an ORIFICE PLUG.-----It is a calibrated hole.-----It is screwed into the bowl tight.----Not adjustable .

It is inside the carburetor bowl !----Called an ORIFICE PLUG.-----It is a calibrated hole.-----It is screwed into the bowl tight.----Not adjustable .

I appreciate it! I’ll send a picture, just to be sure, as I know I cleaned everything short of a rebuild, to make sure I know exactly which part you are specifically referring to. Thank you AGAIN!!!

I appreciate it! I’ll send a picture, just to be sure, as I know I cleaned everything short of a rebuild, to make sure I know exactly which part you are specifically referring to. Thank you AGAIN!!!

I believe you are referring to 29? Thank you again, I do believe I have cleaned this plug well, but will go back and re-clean.

Question:

You mentioned 29 is not adjustable, would 22 or 27 have any bearing on the level of fuel delivered through the low to midrange throttle band, which is where I believe my condition is a lean mixture? Still dying out from low to midrange throttle, runs GREAT in WOT, then even runs through the midrange throttle band is if I back down from WOT in to it.

Why would this happen? Just trying to cover all bases and see if any adjustments to plugs would help this condition, as I have the understanding there are adjustments for mixture tuning on all carburetors due to their nature?

I appreciate all your time and assistance…

Well----22 and 27 are also non adjustable.----But can be replaced with different sizes.------So the question is why is your 37 year old motor stumbling ?----See your nearest happy dealer for suggestions.----Checked the flywheel key ?-----What boat and what prop are you using ?

Well----22 and 27 are also non adjustable.----But can be replaced with different sizes.------So the question is why is your 37 year old motor stumbling ?----See your nearest happy dealer for suggestions.----Checked the flywheel key ?-----What boat and what prop are you using ?

Thank you for the knowledge and response! I recently replaced the flywheel key, as it was broken after repeated turning over attempts at my early stages of getting this motor running.

The boat is a 1980? Boston Whaler 15' Sport, not sure of the prop, I will look into that also, thank you for the suggestion.

And... Here on our land locked little island (Boater's Paradise though!!!) in the Pacific Ocean, Kaua'i, there are NO DEALERS HERE!!!:eek: This forum is my "Only Hope"... I apologize for maybe my requests are elementary, but this literally is my only source of helpful information... THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!MjY2MDA-45e2bedd.png

Also, another thought, are there specifics to the setting of 22, 27, 29 I may be missing? As in, turn all the way in, then back out X amount of turns? Just a thought, I am trying to understand why these carbs have no other tuning capabilities. Thank you for your thoughts...

No , no-----As clearly stated these have a calibrated hole and are not adjustable !!!!!!-----Why do I have to repeat this fact ??------So there is something wrong if these fixed jets were good for 37 years. ------The trouble shooting is up to you.-----Sorry to be so blunt here.

No , no-----As clearly stated these have a calibrated hole and are not adjustable !!!!!!-----Why do I have to repeat this fact ??------So there is something wrong if these fixed jets were good for 37 years. ------The trouble shooting is up to you.-----Sorry to be so blunt here.

Thank you for the response!!! Blunt is good!!! Respectable! Will use a BLUNT tip wire and clean the high speed jets again, thank you for your input racerone!

Back