Logo

92 115 Evinrude over heating

newarkdad

I'm having overheat issues with my 1992 Evinrude 115 at high RPMs, 4500 and over. Seems to run fine till it gets to 4500 rpms. Water coming out of the pee hole is cold when alarm comes on. When I disconnect temp sensor on starboard side alarm stays on. Disconnect port side temp sensor and alarm goes off. So the issue seems to be on the port side. I checked temp with IR sensor and read 190f when alarm sounded. The motor did cool down quickly and stayed cool as long as I kept it under 4500 rpms. I have checked the thermostats and the poppets and they check out good. Also changed the water pump and have around 16 psi at 4500 rpms. Changed head cover gaskets and cleaned them. Need help in what to try next.

Thanks

I checked the thermostats and they open at 165f and actually cut about a half inch off the springs that hold the poppets. I was leaning towards the water deflectors but wanted to make sure there was nothing else it could be that would be easier to check.
Thanks for the replies. Please let me know iof you have any other ideas to what I can check.

The over heating issue started before I altered the springs and didn't change after I did. My thinking was they would open sooner to allow more water flow quicker. I believe at high rpms the poppets would be against the stops regardless of the spring length. Is this correct?

[FONT=Verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Here is best basic description.......[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]At low rpm's the pressure from the water pump is low, so poppet stays closed. This allows the cooling water from impeller to circulate thru cooling system. At high rpm, the water pump volume & pressure is higher. The poppet opens at a pre-determined pressure(springs) and allow "excess" water to bypass cooling system.
(modifiedCC)[/FONT]

A couple of more questions. Do you use anything on the head bolts when reinstalling or on the head gaskets? Any tips for reinstalling heads?
Thanks again.

Demends on where you got gaskets...Some aftermarket brands will require a coating of 'peanut butter sealer" and other are silicon impregnated. Gasket should state "Use not sealer" if impregnated. Bolts threads need to be clean and a few drops of oil on em.

Okay so I installed the new water deflectors and sealed everything up. Now it's over heating at idle and the pee stream was steaming before the alarm went off. So I'm still over heating but it's different than the original issue. Also, the RPMs are higher at idle that before. Would run around 1000 to 1200 cold and 800 when warmed up on muffs. Now it's running 1200 cold and goes up as it gets hot, 1500. Never had this happen before. Any help would be appreciated.

So I took my boat to a local pond to test run it and it idled fine. It seems that my hose/muffs didn't have the capacity to cool the motor now that everything was cleaned out and the deflectors being replaced. Just a theory but it did run like it was suppose to. RPMs were perfect and pee stream temp was warm after thermostats opened up. I'll post what I find when I run it hard to see if it over heats at WOT.

• board after clean out.jpg85.4 KB · Views:

So I took it out for a hard run and it ran like new. Temp was the same at idle as it was at 5300 rpms. Ran at 5300 rpms for about 5 minutes and all was good. Water pressure was 18 psi before clean out and water deflector replacement and is now running at 13 psi at same rpms. Here's a pictures of the starboard side, which was just
s bad, after I cleaned them up and installed new water deflectors..
starboard after clean out.jpg

Back