Logo

BF200A2 Fuel Filter replacements

Chachy71

BLUF: Looking for a guide on installing the mesh fuel filter (#4) on the fuel rail Mesh Fuel Filter.jpgand the fuel pump filter on top of the VST, behind the injector base (#5)Fuel pump filter.jpg.

BACKGROUND
I bought a rough boat with twin BF200A2. The stbd engine works great and the port, not so much. I've replaced all the filters and cleaned under the fuel pump, that helped a lot. The port engine dies whenever I throttle back to neutral. It'll start right back up but a PIA. The engine starts hard and I frequently need to rev the engine above 1k until it warms up enough to run back at idle and even then its a lopey idle. I have two manual and neither describe how to remove either filter so I assume this is some secret Honda knowledge, or its so simple I can't figure it out.

MESH FUEL FILTER
I removed the pressure regulator on my fuel rail couldn't get the mesh filter out. From the manual it looks like the filter fits into the fuel rain and the pressure regulator seats on top. I didn't pull the entire fuel rail off the engine so my access is limited. I don't want to damage the seating area where the pressure regulator sits. Heck I'm not even sure there is a filter in there since the last owner didn't have a LP fuel filter and the HP one was very dirty. Is there a trick that I'm missing or should I try and use a pick to remove it?

FUEL PUMP FILTER
Is there a trick to changing the filter? Since its behind the injector base I don't want to start pulling hoses if it's bolted to something.

Thanks in advance

That's what I'm afraid of, grrrr. I was hoping there was some secret Honda info that would make it easier. Thanks for the info about the intake.

Engine has 5ea Fuel Filters: LP 16901-ZY3-003, HP 16911-ZY3-010, Mesh 16614-P5G-003, Insulator 16718-ZY6-013, Pump Fuel Filter 16911-759-003. Check P/N applicability for your engine, have put the part numbers so location can be checked on boats.net but they may not apply to your engine.

While you are in there, drain the VST & HP Pump casing with the transparent tube on the back starboard side that leads to a flat head screw. Don´t unscrew too much so as not to loose it. Check for water and debris.

Before removing the Intake Manifold, try removing only the IAB first. Open apart the side cowlings at the back, many bolts to remove, and also remove the back metal frame (6ea bolts). This may give you enough access. If you do remove the manifold, it is best to remove without touching the Throttle Body and removing the whole assembly, I did this just yesterday for other maintenance. Leave the throttle cables connected, disconnect everything else and put it to one side. There is a youtube video titled "adjusting valve lash on Honda 225" which shows the removal of the manifold, but as I say, try with the IAB first.

Back