Logo

Spun my first prop this weekend I'm lost in the search for another

vincentmb615

Hello all I have a 94 chaparral 1930sst with a mercruiser 4.3 it's 19ft bowrider, pulling the kids on Lanier and the water went from 15ft to 3 and we hit a sand bar, now my boat won't go over 15mph with the boat full throttle when I usually can get up to 40 with no problems. It came with a 3 blade aluminum prop it chipped a blade as well so I'm looking into new props and a hub sleeve but I wasn't aware of how many options there was I'm wanting to go with a 4 blade for pulling tubes and getting up on a plane faster but there's so many options for pitch and diameter and everything else I'm totally lost , can anybody give me a recommendation or try to explain some prop knowledge to me so I'm not so confused I like the sound of the mercury nemesis but there's also 4 or 5 options of it. Also if anybody knows the prop size from the factory that would be very helpful , thanks to anyone in advance that can help

First, learn the waters you are boating in. This will help you avoid these kinds of potentially deadly accidents. Hitting a bar at full speed can throw you out of the boat. Fortunately this time you had just enough water to keep you from a worse encounter than a bent prop. I hope you were all wearing your PFDs. Safety first, mate.
Now as to your prop, just put the same thing back on there. You'll find a part number someplace on the hub. It might even have the size cast into it. You won't be able to see any real performance difference between a three and four blade. Don't overthink it. They put that prop on because it performed the best all around.

First, learn the waters you are boating in. This will help you avoid these kinds of potentially deadly accidents. Hitting a bar at full speed can throw you out of the boat. Fortunately this time you had just enough water to keep you from a worse encounter than a bent prop. I hope you were all wearing your PFDs. Safety first, mate.
Now as to your prop, just put the same thing back on there. You'll find a part number someplace on the hub. It might even have the size cast into it. You won't be able to see any real performance difference between a three and four blade. Don't overthink it. They put that prop on because it performed the best all around.

Amen, went to a different dock than normal and I totally agree, nobody on my vessel can ride without a life jacket especially not any kids , I haven't looked at the prop it's been raining but I will look into it

Engine coupler worn out? What does the temperature gauge do when this happens? If the temp climbs then the coupler is shot.

Back