Logo

Honda 9.9 tell tail flows water the stops Md #BF10DK3SHS 9.9HP

terry4146

I have a Honda as listed in title. It has been in storage for 2+ years , got it out and hooked water hose to it ,it started instantly and water flowed from tell tale port it ran for about 5 minutes then water quit coming out of tell tale port? I shut it off felt the cylinder and it was warm to the touch.waited out 1 hour and started it again and water flowed from tell tale port and and it ran for about 10 minutes then water quit again and motor died, noticed a little smoke coming from tell tale port waited about 1 minute and started it again, but shut it off as i was unsure of what is going on ? As it was running last time before i shut it off ,i reached in and touched the cylinder and it was warm but you couldn't leave your finger on it to long. Any idea's as to what's going on ? Thanks , terry

Hi,
It's hard to say from here but the fact that the engine stopped running could indicate that it's overheating. If it is, you won't want to be running it until you figure out why.

I suggest putting in a new pump kit after having it sit for so long. The impeller gets brittle and can break into pieces. It won't pump efficiently as a result and some of the pieces can go up into the engine block and plug the coolant passages. They can also plug the tell-tale passage causing it to stop flowing. Intermittent tell-tale flow is usually an indication that debris is inside that passageway.

As a further precaution, I recommend replacing the thermostat.

While the gearcase is off for pump repair you can remove the thermostat, remove the tell-tale fitting from the block and use water pressure or shop air or both to backflush the coolant and tell-tale passages to remove any debris.

Note any damage or missing pieces from the impeller vanes and try to account for them while back flushing the system to be sure that you get as much debris out as possible.

Good luck.

Hi,
It's hard to say from here but the fact that the engine stopped running could indicate that it's overheating. If it is, you won't want to be running it until you figure out why.

I suggest putting in a new pump kit after having it sit for so long. The impeller gets brittle and can break into pieces. It won't pump efficiently as a result and some of the pieces can go up into the engine block and plug the coolant passages. They can also plug the tell-tale passage causing it to stop flowing. Intermittent tell-tale flow is usually an indication that debris is inside that passageway.

As a further precaution, I recommend replacing the thermostat.

While the gearcase is off for pump repair you can remove the thermostat, remove the tell-tale fitting from the block and use water pressure or shop air or both to backflush the coolant and tell-tale passages to remove any debris.

Note any damage or missing pieces from the impeller vanes and try to account for them while back flushing the system to be sure that you get as much debris out as possible.

Good luck.

Thank you, I'll get it to a repair shop and have it chk'd out.

Well....

I hope that you have a good quality shop that you can trust to do it right. It's a shame but there are so many hacks out there taking people to the cleaners in the "outboard repair business" it seems to make the infamous car "stealership" service departments look like giants of skill and virtue.

Many people that come here for advice have already been "took" and have purchased a shop manual and are committed to doing it themselves because of the loss of time, money and confidence in that "it ain't fixed yet".

Hoping that's not your circumstances but.....
....just sayin'

Ask many questions, get a written estimate, demand that all work performed, including testing results and values are documented on the work order.

Best of luck.

Back