Logo

dipstick adaptor elbow

slow cruiser

Regular Contributor
2001 8.1L is leaking oil at the crankcase from the dipstick adaptor elbow to the crankcase.. I removed the elbow, it is very different from the current one ie R024017. Has this part been replaced with a different elbow? The thread going into the crankcase is tapered and fine thread.

Last edited:
the parts info I have says those elbows are the same thru 2006, at least.

the parts books do show an 'adapter' between the oil pan (vs crankcase) and the elbow....I'd say its like a heli-coil so it is very possible the adaptor changes the thread from elbow to pan....

did your 'old' adaptor stay in the pan or come out with the old elbow?

does the female end of the new adaptor fit the dipstick (nut)?

The old adaptor did stay in the pan. There does not seem to be a shoulder on the adaptor to grab to remove it.
The female end does fit the dipstick.

if the adapter is similar to a heli-coil, removing it will likely be destructive.

on the elbow, since it fits the tube, I'm at a bit of a loss...maybe Bob can share his experience as he went thru rebuilds recently. The only other thing I have is to call crusader's tech support line...

Maybe a pic of the old and new elbows, side to side, may jar something else loose.

I just got off the phone with Crusader. From the description of the current and the new part we agreed the most likely case is that the previous owner had an issue with the thread on the pan and probably put in a heli-coil, it is flush to the pan, the factory adaptor has a shoulder to install and remove, not this one. I have tried teflon tape, new 'O' ring, neither seals it. Any suggestions?

Wow! unique parts can make for a maintenance nightmare...

if the leak is from the elbow-adaptor joint, and the old elbow is on decent shape, I'd be inclined to clean up both surfaces and then use a thread locking compound....if you can't get enough oil out of the pan to clean things up thoroughly, I'd be inclined to use PST....

Thanks for the suggestion. As mentioned I tried teflon tape ( 3 times! ). I can try to remove more oil, I did get it to a drip, but I doubt enough and also to clean it. I assume Lock Tite does not work on an oily surface. Not familiar with PS tape on an engine.-what kind?

nothing will work very well with an oily surface.

Locktite may cure on an oil flim but doesn't have anything to bond with...(FWIW, it cures aerobically).

PST is locktite's brand name for pipe sealant with teflon...like teflon tape but doesn't make the "shreds"...it also is thicker so may fill any voids that the locktite would leave.

Locktite used to make a primer to help 'clean' surfaces...this may be a case where it would be of benefit...

Finally, FWIW, if the adapter was pulled and a heli-coil used, the drip is probably thru the heli-coil...so it may not matter what you do with the elbow....if that's the case, the best approach would be to remove the heli-coil and use a solid adapter...

I have limited experience with locktite, more with other adhesives. I know of none that bond well to an oily surface. Leaking thru a heli-coil seems the most logical otherwise the teflon tape should have worked, I tried several times. I screwed in a tapered rubber plug while working on it which did hold the leak but is not the solution.
How do you remove a heli-coil, I was not aware you could. If I had a large 'easy-out' I could try but if it did not work the thread may be so buggered up that I would have to replace the oil pan. The adaptor fits flush to the pan, no way to grip it. The stock adaptor is threaded part way to leave a section to grip so this is probably not stock.
I appreciate you assistance. I'll be back on it this weekend. Thank you!

I'd say you want a plan before you go trying to remove a heli-coil. They make extraction tools but the good ones aren't cheap. They are not much more than precision sized coils of square wire. there are likely 'hack' videos on you tube but I won't endorse that stuff.

Is there a bung or a backing plate on the oil pan where the elbow attaches? if so, it may be a heli-coil...They usually need several threads to function as intended. If the pan is thick enough, it may have been just tapped to match the elbow's male fitting...only way to tell is a good cleaning and then inspection.

If it is tapped, a good cleaning and some blue or red locktite should seal it up just fine...

Trying to remove a heli-coil, if there is one, is the last item on my list. My next move is going to be to clean it and get a better look. My thought at the moment is that there is an insert, just not the right one (Crusader). Access is very tight with the stringer and hoses. Then I may try the loctite if I can get it reasonably clean. 243 seems to be the best bet where oil is involved.
Thanks again for your guidance.

So here’s a crazy thought. On my 8.1’s there was a dipstick tube on each side of the engine. The unused one had a rubber cap instead of the dipstick.

Depending on your engine access, is this an option? It would be easier to plug/cap a straight fitting and just abandon that side. One mine, I had the alternate sides welded up because I don’t have outboard access without moving a wet bar and seating. On the same topic, make sure the rubber caps aren't missing on the unused sides (they were on mine) and another reason I did away with them. How many years of water and dirt falling right into the pan?

Bob

My engines have the fitting hole on each side of the pan, however the outboard ones are somehow plugged. They are not visible and nearly inaccessible, the inboard ones have the dipstick/tube. Yours is a good idea and as a last resort I may have to resort to it if I can access it.

Actually, last week I thought up several options none of the possible ones worked so before doing something I'd regret I tried the last practical one-a rubber washer. At the local ACE I found a thick, hard rubber washer the right size. Seemed to make sense that it would seal the adaptor considering the size and shape of the two faces. there being little if any pressure in the oil pan. It didn't leak all week . Today I ran it and it sealed. Part of the issue is that I went to 5 auto part stores and all they now carry is Permatex, no Loctite. I was going to use 243 oil resistant but couldn't cross reference it to Permatex. Hence, the washer.
The season's over, she'll be put up for the season this week. I'll think about this all winter. I don't want to start something I'll regret (removing the old adaptor) not knowing how it is attached and having so little room to work.
Thanks for the help, I will keep them in mind.

Back