Logo

Sudden flooding.

good01

Regular Contributor
Crossed the bay today and fished for a while and started engine to cross back over and the engine would start right up then shut off. Was able to get back by pumping primer. Started looking at the engine and some times when I tried to start the engine it would suck the primer ball flat. pulled a couple plugs and they were wet with fuel. engine model is J225VXSIF 2001 Model year. Compression is 115 to 110. would a bad vro cause this. Thanks in advance

Sucking the primer bulb flat sounds like a blockage in the tank or hose between the fuel tank and bulb....or, did you forget to open the breather on the fuel tank?

I ran 4 miles across with out issues. I will check the tank for blockage. I checked for kinked lines but found none. I do not have a breather it is 138 gallon tank. Thanks for the suggestions.

I noticed today when I did get the engine started my amp meter showed the engine is not charging. Also all six plugs are wet with fuel.

I had the boat pulled the mechanic said the rectifier was bad also. I know the rectifier is water cooled, would that cause the stator to also go bad or did the stator cause the rectifier to go bad? The stator was covered in melted insulation from the coils. I know that happens on these engines but would one failure cause the other to fail? I did notice the engine was getting harder to start. Again thanks in advance.

I ended up putting a stator, rectifier, trigger and a new vro. Before doing all of this I never had that sneeze that you all talk about. After you warm the engine it takes about 5 min or so and it will sneeze and shut off. Starts back up but if you let it idle it will do it again. My question is should I set the Idle up a bit or do you think its is because of a carb issue.
Thanks

Does it sneeze on hose or in water..they will lean sneeze if out of water because of no backpressure. This is also why adjusting mixture procedure is done in water with load

No it is doing it in the water. I adjusted the idle up a bit and it has gone away. I think I had it idling a bit to low. Ran it Saturday and it ran pretty well. Thanks again for all the help.

Back