Logo

'87 OMC 2.3L 4cy Ford Engine Seized (fishing line in the flywheel housing?)

willpower2727

I bought a fixer upper, a 1987 Bayliner Capri with a 232AMFTC OMC sterndrive. I was trying to get the engine to crank by hand, it was rotating back and forth about 40 degrees with a breaker bar, then I cranked it a little too far clockwise and now it is stuck real good. I don't think there are any major mechanical issues based on the condition of the rest of the engine. Any ideas (besides a broken rod) what could be causing it to stick?

What I've tried:

-Pulled engine head off, soaked pistons in PB Blaster for ~1.5 weeks so far
-Pulled starter off to verify there wasn't some weird binding up of the flywheel, and I found about 12 inches of fishing line just hanging out in the flywheel housing (I can't even fathom how that's possible). I can't see or feel if there is more fishing line.

I'm really stuck on what to try next. Anyone else ever found fishing line that wound its way all the way up into the boat? :confused:

Is the drive still on the boat? If so pull the drive and see if the engine is still locked up. These engines have a rubber OHC cam drive belt, if this is broken the engine could run out of time and the pistons may be touching an open valve when that valve should be closed. I'd take the cam cover off also to verify the belt is in one piece.

Well morning after posting I went out early in the morning when it was cold, voila the engine loosened up :D. Not sure if it was the PB blaster or the colder temps. Still intrigued by the fishing line in the flywheel housing. Now I have a new problem, the camshaft won't fit back into the bearings...but that's an issue for another forum or another thread...

Back