Logo

stalling

Matt R

Hi, I have a 1989 2.3 liter. Once the engine warms up, about 15 minutes of running, it will stall for no reason I can figure out. Have replaced fuel filter, checked all fuel system fittings for tightness, pulled out pickup tube from tank to verify no blockage, cleaned the carb, and generally went over the entire fuel system. I did have a problem before this; ran out of gas on my first time out (boat new to me). Put in new fuel with stabilizer and had this issue. Thought I had dirt in carb or fuel filter, so went over entire fuel system. Found the anti backflow valve had been removed when I couldn't get engine to start after replacing filter. Replaced the anti backflow valve and primed the fuel system, fires right up. Runs smooth and idles smooth at 1k. Then stalls after 10-15 minutes.

Two possible clues: 1. seems a little difficult to shift into gear (verified no shift cable binding, and shifts fine when not running). 2. ESA module seemed warm after running only a few minutes.

Anyone ever seen this problem? Seems to me more likely electrical, but I don't know this type of motor well. I am wondering if ESA module is shorting out once warm, or coil is opening when warm.? USUALLY the motor will restart but stalls again as soon as I try to put it into gear. SOMETIMES it will start and immediately stall again.

Hate to start throwing parts at it without any idea. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Back