Logo

8HP MERC Overheating

tomjv

2001, 8HP
model# 1008201ZD
serial# 0T434456
Family 2M9XM00131C0

Question#1: Why is this motor overheating and how can I repair it?
Question#2: How are prop seals changed on this model?
==============
The motor although old, it's very clean and has low hours. It's stored indoors and only sees half a dozen trailered days on the water per year. All fresh water. It powers a 14' semi-V.
I noted that the motor is overheating(I THINK). The pee spray is intermittent and the water coming out is HOT like a cup of tea.
After running a couple minutes at speed, the water sprays out and is boiling. There is no increase in flow while at speed.

I rebuilt the pump(it was fine, AFAICT). Problem persists.
I pulled the thermostat and tested it in boiling water. It didn't move. I replaced it. All was perfectly clean inside.
The problem persists.

I'm testing in a Rubbermaid tub (like a recycle bin). The lower unit is submerged to the top "fin".
I see water coming out the exhaust hole.
I also see lots of oil accumulating on the sides of the tub.
(this motor has an intake on the underside of the "top fin". There are no side "gills" to affix a motor flusher.

When the motor sits(in storage and upright), there's always a puddle of black lube under it. It's coming from the prop.
I ordered a set of bushings. How is this done? I see the 2screw method and the seal pick method. Do I need a seal driver?

I searched and didn't find anything specific.
THX.

The pee stream on that motor will be hot as it comes straight from the thermostat. That also makes it intermittant as the stat opens and closes. Like Racer said you need more water.

Back