Logo

Pumping out bottom of gas tank

Gibby1234

Hello all. I have a couple of posts about my dirty carb and inability to start my engine. I have since ordered a remanufactured carb. Will arrive next week. Now I am focused on removing any water/sludge in my fuel tank which likely was the cause of the carb failing.

To do so, I put together the rig in the pic attached. The fuel fill for my tank is a straight shot from the back deck (straight down). My plan is to insert one end into the tank until it hits the bottom (its an 80 gallon tank) and then squeeze the bulb (many times) to get some of the nasty at the bottom of the tank into a fuel container.

I know this will be very very slow but I want to prove out that there is indeed sludge in there. I could get more aggressive with a fuel pump but want to keep it as safe as possible for now.

Thoughts? Anything I should be thinking about or aware of?

Thanks.

tank.jpg

Update. The rig worked and I pumped out about a half gallon from the bottom of the tank. Every drop looked like clean gas. Even brought my dock mate over to look. We were both surprised.

I’m going to check the fuel line between the tank and the fuel water separator. That is the only rubber hose. All other fuel lines into carb are steel.

Back