Logo

More aggressive salt-flush on 225

brettmarl

Regular Contributor
After changing my internal zincs (except the one that requires pulling the engine), I'm wondering if I can do something to decrease the amount of salt deposits in the cooling system. Salt-away is nice when I can use it for regular upkeep - but doesn't seem aggressive enough to remove old crusty stuff.

Watched this video where some guy basically pulls his internal zincs, and t-stats and pumps "Rhydlyme" through the system for 3-4 hours to dissolve the salt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZYwh9e2ZD8

Wondering if any opinions on doing something like this is a good or bad idea... is the only water-exit the pee-stream? Seems if bigger chunks get disloged they could end up blocking smaller passages like this and cause more harm than good.

Keep us posted, I have a blocked or restricted water flow in my BF200 A2. I'm going to try and use CRC Salt Terminator everyday for a week or more and see if that helps. I keep my boat on a salt water mooring so I'm trying to see what best way to keep my engines running cool.

Two items. The salt terminator seems to be working but not quickly. I did pour straight solution into the cooling passage on the exhaust manifold and have been able to run about 500 rpm faster. I used to be able to run 4k without overheating, now I can run 4500. When I go WOT, about 5500 I get the overheat on the port engine still but can immediately restart and take off at 4500.

Second item. The Honda guy on BVI said the exhaust manifolds plug up easily, which is why they are cheap. He says he can only use an acid flush on them for so long before he has to replace them. Partspak sells them for my engine at about $100 each. I might try that to see if that solves the overheating problem. I wished I would have know this 4 months ago when I started this experiment.

Back