Logo

I can't find the starter on the engine! Help

Ayuh,..... It appears to be a SBC, so the starter is on the starboard side, way down low, at the aft end of the block, held on with 2 bolts, which have 9/16" heads, pointed straight up,....

Chevy starters come in 2 flavors, staggered bolts, 'n straight across bolts, I suspect yer's are staggered,.....

Get yerself a PM type starter, 1/2 the weight, 'n twice the power,..... 'n you'll need new starter bolts for it, as they're slightly shorter,.....

Last edited:
Ayuh,..... It appears to be a SBC, so the starter is on the starboard side, way down low, at the aft end of the block, held on with 2 bolts, which have 9/16" heads, pointed straight up,....

Chevy starters come in 2 flavors, staggered bolts, 'n straight across bolts, I suspect yer's are staggered,.....

Get yerself a PM type starter, 1/2 the weight, 'n twice the power,..... 'n you'll need new starter bolts for it, as they're slightly shorter,.....
Thanks for the answer! I have a boat Chaparral 32. two engines on board. I figured out the engine markings and found a starter on amazon.
is this PM starter?26CD255C-9F27-4F37-BF6B-481C9EE51133.jpeg

Thanks for the answer! I have a boat Chaparral 32. two engines on board. I figured out the engine markings and found a starter on amazon.
is this PM starter?View attachment 27752

Ayuh,.... That appears to be the old style starter,..... it should look something like this,......
s-l1600.jpg

Have you checked to be sure the starter bolts are still tight,..??
You may have damaged ring gear teeth too,....

Ayuh,.... That appears to be the old style starter,..... it should look something like this,......
View attachment 27754

Have you checked to be sure the starter bolts are still tight,..??
You may have damaged ring gear teeth too,....

Agree! Most likely these are the teeth .... The starter was turned many times trying to start the engine. The engine stalls at idle, then completely stopped starting. I saw that the fuel pipe in the carburetor sucks air - probably because of this it stalls. Tomorrow I will be on the boat - I will do the repairs, check the tightening of the bolts. Hire a starter and buy exactly the same one. I'll start the engine and solve the problem with unstable work.

Back