Logo

How to tell if I have a 9 or 16 Amp Stator

ProTurbo

Hello friends,

I have a 1990-1993 Mariner Magnum 40HP 4 cylinder Outboard

The Serial Number tag is no longer on the motor

I have no spark, the blue wire when disconnected from the CDI box is open, when it is connected I get like 4 Mega Ohms
The red wires I get something (I forgot) was ok and yellow wires also like .700 Ohm

Its a black Stator

How can I tell if I have a 9 or 16 amp Stator?

Thank you

PS: I did disconnected the Black and yellow at the CDI just in case

The flywheel is red, but the stator looks black, it still under the fly wheel, will take it out when I get home but when I looked at it it looks black

so you think i may have a 9 amp then

Open the cover on the electrical box on the starboard side of the engine and see if you have a voltage regulator. There's indication that 16 amp systems had a voltage regulator.

Open the cover on the electrical box on the starboard side of the engine and see if you have a voltage regulator. There's indication that 16 amp systems had a voltage regulator.

I'm not home , I will be there Wednesday, I will take a closer look, at the bottom it has a rectifier. In the middle (the foam) is the relays for the trim and on top could be the VR, but it could be also the oil warning Module. Do you know where its located usually
Thank you
Mariner 40 HP 1990-1993.jpg

More info, I have a Voltage rectifier not a Voltage Regulator.. so on that note, old days Voltage Rectifier then replace to a voltage regulator as it was a better DC
regulated voltage as the Voltage rectifier did receive AC from the stator and was not stable dc voltage. could of hurt anything running DC.

So since I have a voltage rectifier I still the question. 9 AMP or 16 AMP stator, will take the Stator out soon... hoping for a number in the stator

Back