Logo

Looking for OEM ignition switch for old AQ130C/270

am_dew

Advanced Contributor
My starter switch broke today on my 1972 boat with AQ130C engine and 270 outdrive...the ACC/Off/Run/Start positions just quit on me suddenly at the dock while I was trying to get the engine started. So, I am looking to replace it with another OEM switch hopefully so it will be "plug and play" and I don't need to guess which wires go to which terminals on the new switch. The switch is marked "BOSCH 0 342 309 005" which I found out cross references to Volvo 870685.

Anyone have a working one of these they want to get rid of that has two keys to it available? If so, please let me know.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ayuh,.... I suggest you test the switch with a test light, rather than just assumin' it's the switch,.....

Ayuh,.... I suggest you test the switch with a test light, rather than just assumin' it's the switch,.....

The switch does not have any positions...ie. when you turn the key you can't feel where the Aux/Off/On/Start positions are. This would mean the mechanical part of the switch is broken, no?

UPDATE: Went to Napa and they found a suitable replacement switch. Hooked it up and tested it...worked as expected, but did not actually start engine (had coil wire disconnected from distributor) but the starter did crank so I suspect it should work just fine. Last step is I have to drill the hole in the dash a bit bigger to accommodate the slightly larger switch shaft.

Back