Logo

Cracked exhaust risers

1ton

Contributing Member
I'm looking at a boat online that has cracked exhaust risers on a 7.4 engine. Is it a safe bet the engine is toast too? Thanks for any info.

Will

I'm looking at a boat online that has cracked exhaust risers on a 7.4 engine. Is it a safe bet the engine is toast too? Thanks for any info.

Will

depends. It is a sign that the exhuast risers were not drained and cracked. How was the boat winterized ? Does it have closed cooling and some one just didnt drain the exhaust ? If it is raw water cooled and was no properly winterized its a risk the engine is roached

it s a definite flag that u have to look close and pay less for it to cover any repairs. Really depends on what you want to get into and your skill level. If you like the boat and the seller is willing to work with you have a mobile mechanic look at it and make a diagnosis and repair estimate.

i bought a 21 ft bowrider with low hours that PO didnt winterize and cracked the block. Paid $3k for the boat spent $5 k on engine basically had a new boat. I like doing this stuff and am a very competent home mechanic, if you prefer golf vs turnign wrenches may not be for you.

It's a sign that you need to either pay for a survey or go look at it with your own eyes and decide. A few hundred spent for a written survey is always money well spent. The seller should offer to do it or at least split the cost. Virtually every boat is for sale, so the right one may be closer than you think. Don't buy just cz it seems like a deal. Usually these aren't. Buy with your head not your heart.

What year is it? If it is 10-15 yrs old just pay for the NADA avg. value minus the cost to repower by a dealer...more than $10,000 I'll bet.

Back