Logo

2000 Marine Power 454 7.4L starting problem

higaredar

I bought a used 2000 Ultra Custom boat Model J454S-CAL 454 7.4L engine. I replaced the usual; spark plugs, oil, oil and gas filters, new starter, new Grp 31 battery, fresh gasoline. When I crank the engine it turns but wont start. I add a very small amount of gas into the carburetor and the engine starts right up. The engine stays running without any other problems. I can run the boat on the lake but after I turn the engine off the only way to restart is to add the small amount of fuel into the carburetor again. I'm thinking of replacing the fuel pump but I'm wondering if there could be another cause and/or if there's a way to verify that it is or isn't a fuel pump problem? I'm stumped.

The Marine Power manual shows the fuel pump as #0303-06F1 Electric 7.5 PSI. I'm finding all sorts of information on what could replace the original fuel pump. I could also use help with any suggestions. I'd like to get as close to the original specifications as possible if the pump does need replacing. Thank you.

Last edited:
ok...electric fuel pump with a carb....I would start with the oil pressure switch and see if it supplies current to the fuel pump when cranking...my guess is that it isn't...

Another issue may be if the original starter was replaced with one of the 'modern' ones - they typically delete the R terminal on the starter solenoid...which is the source for the fuel pump current while cranking...if that's the case, I'd add a 'primer switch' and be done with it. this would be a momentary switch (SPST MO type) that supplies +12VDC to the fuel pump when depressed when the ignition key is in RUN.

There should be sufficient fuel in the carb to start the engine regardless of the operation of the fuel pump. If you can run it after priming with fuel, then the pump is obviously working. I suspect a dirty carburetor. The other thing you should try is to give the throttle two good pumps before trying to start. Key off, push throttle lever all the way forward (from neutral) twice and back to neutral. Then try starting. This will operate the accelerator pump and shoot some gasoline down the carb throat.

Thank you. I'll bd able to check this coming week. I'll update then.
ok...electric fuel pump with a carb....I would start with the oil pressure switch and see if it supplies current to the fuel pump when cranking...my guess is that it isn't...

Another issue may be if the original starter was replaced with one of the 'modern' ones - they typically delete the R terminal on the starter solenoid...which is the source for the fuel pump current while cranking...if that's the case, I'd add a 'primer switch' and be done with it. this would be a momentary switch (SPST MO type) that supplies +12VDC to the fuel pump when depressed when the ignition key is in RUN.

I'll try this too. What I was trying to say was that after stopping the engine, the engine cranks again but won't start until I prime it again. I'll try this method of starting the boat after turning it off and I'll update. Thank you too!

Back