Logo

Yamaha 9.9 Not Starting and need a logic check

ryanmcgrimz

I've beet at my friends boat for two days trying to get his Yamaha T9.9LPA to start with no luck. It was working perfectly last week until the gas line somehow got wrapped in the prop and stalled the engine. Was able to get the line unwrapped, and to our surprise it was not cut or damaged.

We replaced the line to be safe and it would not start. It turns powerfully but does not fire. I thought maybe the flywheel key had been sheered and it was out of time so I rented a puller and a strap wrench and attempted to remove flywheel. Unfortunately the stored near us only had a rubber strap wrench which promptly broke and took about 3 of my knuckles with it.

At a loss there I removed the plugs and confirmed that the upper cylinder appears to be at TDC when the marks line up. I believe this tells us it is in time.

I replaced the spark plugs which look OK but not great. Still no fire. Got some starter fluid and it did run for a few moments. This seems to point to a fuel issue, so we replaced the fuel with fresh, even though we did not think the previous gas was old. Still nothing.

I traced that fuel was in the strainer / filter when squeezing the fuel line priming pump, and backed out the carb fuel reservoir screw and confirmed that gas was indeed dripping out at the carb. This seems to be pointing to a blockage in the carb jets?

This just seems so odd that this all happened right after the prop got wrapped, it would be pretty crazy timing that the jets got clogged right at that moment. Is there another key for the timing sprocket that then engages the fuel pump that may have been sheared. Maybe the gas in the carb is all just from the pressurized tank? Is there a way to test the fuel pump without a pressure tester? We are very low on tools here, but have some basics. Anyway, before I pull this carb, can you all give me a logic test that we should be doing that? I'm very nervous to do carb work after a total screwup rebuilding a carb many years ago, so I'm not super into digging in again. I don't see a way to access the jets with the carb on. Anyone have experience with this engine and have some insight as to what I should do next? Thanks so much for your time all.

Don't know if you are checking this thread...but for what it's worth:

1.) Assure the Engine Shut Off "washer" is properly installed.

2.) Assure that you have FUEL in the gas tank.

3.) Assure that the VENT HOLE in the top of the fuel tank cap is OPEN.

4.) With the fuel line attached between fuel tank and engine, CHARGE the fuel line, then remove the connection from the 9.9. Poke a small nail or toothpick into the ball valve of the fuel line and give the inline float ball a squeeze (or two). If there is no flow, check the DIRECTION of the fuel fill line. Reversed is No Go.

If there is fuel and good flow, it is not a "fuel delivery" issue. Reattach the gas line to the engine and squeeze the bulb again (to charge).

Worse things than no washer, out of gas, a closed vent, or reversed fuel fill line from tank to engine have occurred.

5.) With the spark plug removed, determine that the engine is not flooded (plug wet with gas - or oil!).

6.) Still attached to its plug wire, set (not hand hold) the spark plug ground electrode ("L" shaped thingy at the bottom), against some metal portion of the engine and pull the starter rope. See if there is spark! It'll "bite you" if you hand hold it.

If there is NO SPARK, check that the spark plug wire is FIRMLY connected AND making contact on BOTH ENDS. A detached wire on the engine side could result from a "hard knock" or sudden rotational twist.

If there IS SPARK, and a "decent" bright spark, then electricity is not the issue.

7.) Clean or change the replaceable portion of the fuel filter.

With these, it SHOULD run. If not, then the Carburetor is suspect.

What have you learned since the OP? Is it starting now?

Thanks for responding, I've gotten her running after going through all the checks you mentioned and determined the problem to be two fold. The main problem seemed to be a gunked up carburetor. While I had cone through it and cleaned it with all I had on hand, which was gas and alcohol, and some old bottled compressed air. This time I bought some carb cleaner let all the parts soak for several hours, agitating periodically. When I put it back together the boat ran for a period but I was noticing that the fuel filter would eventually run out of gas. When pumping it up again at the bulb it would start. I replaced the bulb. It was a little better but didn't seem like it was getting as hard as it should. I cut the line and placed directly into the gas in the gas tank, circumventing the female connector on the line and the the male connector at the portable gas tank. This resulted in the engine running beautifully and the bulb getting hard when pumping. This would seem to indicate a leak at the male / female connection at the tank. Everything seems back ordered at the moment, so it will be a while before it's totally resolved. I've rigged a temporary solution that seems safe if not convenient that will allow us to use the boat while here, until the quick connect parts can be ordered. Thanks for the input.

Back