Logo

Fuel consumption after FL Overhaul?

Kenry

I have a single Ford Lehman engine not turbo charged, 120 hp, 2703E newly overhauled by a reputable firm. The cylinders were bored out 20 thousandths so the engine now has new pistons, rings and connecting rods along with a substantial list of other improvements, including an overhaul of the injection pump and replacement of the engine oil cooler, coolant heat exchanger, and transmission oil cooler in addition to a transmission overhaul. Before the overhaul, the engine used 1.6 gallons per hour. Now, after the overhaul, it uses 2.7 gallons per hour. I was under the impression that it would use less fuel. It also smokes as much as ever, maybe even more, and there’s a substantial oily sheen in the wet exhaust. Is this to be expected? The engine leaks oil around the transmission adapter flange so I need to add a little oil about every 10 hours. The coolant level doesn’t vary. I carefully followed and recorded the break in process as described in the FL manual. I recently polished the fuel. After the break in I have, as usual, operated the engine at 1800 rpm, +/- 7 knots. When fully loaded with water and fuel the boat, a square chined 1968 Grand Banks, weighs about 22,000 pounds and is 32’ long with 11’ beam. The one improvement besides running at all, is the engine starts beautifully, within a couple seconds. The engine now has 107 hours on it. Is it possible that some adjustment is out of whack? Although the price for the work was, in my estimation, very fair, I’m nonetheless disappointed after all the hassle and expense because now my range is greatly decreased and the boat is more expensive to operate. The firm I used to overhaul the engine is operated by a busy man of few words who more often than not fails to answer my emails. So, I ask you, do you have any thoughts? I should add that I already asked Brian at American Diesel and he said “Any rebuilt engine is going to require a "break-in" period, during which the actual rates of consumption will vary”. Thanks for any input or advice you may be inclined to add!

Kenry, Sounds like injection pump timing is not correct or injector leak. Pull the dipstick and smell the oil if it smells like fuel and is thin you have a fuel leak. Make sure you only have 12 qts oil regardless of dipstick marks. Overfilling will cause oil to leak at rear seal and smoke. There will always be an oil sheen which normally is less to none with engine at running temp. 180.
Charlie W

Kenry, Sounds like injection pump timing is not correct or injector leak. Pull the dipstick and smell the oil if it smells like fuel and is thin you have a fuel leak. Make sure you only have 12 qts oil regardless of dipstick marks. Overfilling will cause oil to leak at rear seal and smoke. There will always be an oil sheen which normally is less to none with engine at running temp. 180.
Charlie W

Thanks Charlie W, sounds like I need to have my mechanic take at my injector pump. Will smell to see if there’s diesel in the engine oil with my weak sniffer. Thanks, very much appreciate your input!

Kenry, In 1968 Lehmans used two different injector pumps. CAV rotary or Simms in line. Timing for rotary is 9 degrees, Simms 20

Charlie W

Back