Logo

1983 Honda 100 Ser# B100S-1503362

BoatDope

I think it's a 1983. I think Model might be BF100SD ? I got a really great deal on this little motor at $400. The previous owner bought it new and he and his brother used it often in the summers to fish small fresh water lakes. It had been getting banged around in the garage for the previous 15+ years. Brought it home and inspected fluids and they all looked clean. There was motor oil in the bottom cylinder. After a little clean up a puff of starter fluid she fired then sputtered to life on the second pull. Wont stay running, obviously needs some carburetor TLC. I am super happy with it. I have been trying to learn as much as I can on line about it. Surprisingly little is available out there. Would really appreciate hearing from folks who are experts or have experience with these old Hondas.

I need water pump impeller and gaskets. Can any one help me with part numbers.

What about Availability of other parts? This is an older motor. Fuel pump, electrical parts availability, can I get stuff to keep this thing running?

This seems like a really strong running little motor and I see them on our local classified ads often. I also own a 7.5 horse Honda from the previous generation that appears to be very similar and may share some parts.

I have some time on my hand and enjoy learning. Appreciate any advice or knowledge about these old motors you can send my way. Peace.

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm no expert by any means but I've worked on a few of these old sweethearts and will happily share what I know. But take it all with a grain of salt since, well....I'm no expert.

You are correct in that the 7.5hp and 10hp will share many components. I use boats.net for parts look up as they stock pretty much anything a Honda dealer would carry and is still available new from the OEM.

An example would be to answer your fuel pump question. In the link below is the page for what you can and cannot buy new from Honda. Luckily your pump was meant to be repaired and the one item that typically needs to be replaced....the diaphragm...is still available. See item 4. There is also a check valve kit.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda/outboard-by-hp-serial-range/100hp/bf100d-sa-pre-1997/fuel-pump

I should point out that, for some strange reason, boats.net insists on listing several of the 10hp outboards under the 100hp heading. That's where I found your serial number, under the 100hp heading and not the 10hp. So, you need to keep that in mind.

In addition to that the answer about electrical components is that there isn't much available although the primary ignition coil is still sold. See item 4 in the link below.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...100d-sa-pre-1997/c-d-i-ignition-coil-flywheel

As you can see in the link, the CDI isn't even listed and the exciter and charge coils are unavailable. But, those coils can be rewound if you can hook up with a custom electrical jobber.

Otherwise, it's Ebay

If you buy the latest publication of the shop manual it will have an "addendum" to explain the minor differences between the 7.5 and 10hp to the pre 1997 8hp.
What's good about that is that there are some parts for the old 8hp that are still available and might be substituted in a pinch.

There is a plug covering the slow speed jet on the BC model carburetor. If you remove the plug the jet is meant to be unscrewed for cleaning. If it's stuck, try not to damage it as those were only sold with a complete carburetor. You might be forced to clean the jet as best you can without taking it out.
Here's the link for the carburetor below. The slow jet plug is located near the idle mixture screw. Item 4.

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda...100hp/bf100d-sa-pre-1997/carburetor-air-guide

Lastly, it looks as if you will be able to get what you need for your waterpump. See the link below

https://www.boats.net/catalog/honda.../bf100d-sa-pre-1997/water-pump-vertical-shaft

That WAS a really GOOD BUY for a ONE OWNER vintage Honda. You were very fortunate!

Get a shop manual if you don't have one already. There's plenty of used ones that I see pop up but a new one doesn't cost all that much. You'll probably want to check the valve lash adjustment since it's likely that it's never been done and you wouldn't want to burn a valve because they got too tight.

Good luck and have fun.

Wow! Thanks alot! This will take a quick minute for me to digest. Will Seloc manual work, the only Honda manual I can find is $159

s-l500.jpg

I don't care for any of the "knock off" manuals like Haynes, Clymer or Seloc so I wouldn't recommend them. I have seen many errors and wrong specifications with those manuals.

You can order a brand new Honda manual for the BF75-BF100-BF8 $43.95 via the link below and I've seen used ones on the net for under $20 if you have the patience to look for and wait for one to pop up on craigslist or Facebook or offer up or....well....others.

https://publications.powerequipment...ne-shop-manuals-portable--2-20-hp--3-body-01a

Get the Honda manual, the others are generic/nonspecific and usually lack the detail needed on any specific outboard.

If it's any help, most of the parts I picked up for my B100-1x 10hp was from boats.net for gaskets, seals, CDI (is for a later 90's BF8), ignition coil, impeller/housing, gaskets, new oil pressure wire pigtail, thermostat, timing belt, gas/oil filters, carb gaskets, etc. and found other 'not available' parts from ebay that I needed since this is a CDI conversion setup that was done halfway and needed a few components to make it like any other BF8/100. Found impellers on amazon.com for cheap. bikebandit.com lists parts as available, but it's hit and miss with them I found. Get them while you can! Just like the older bikes parts dry up and they are gone. Such a solid little motor with a little bit of work and parts to freshen them up. I have found many parts so far, kind of shocking but making a resto job much easier for me. Like you I found this one for yard sale price! $800 later it runs like a new one. Good luck!

Back