Logo

Identification of Outlet for Johnson 30 HP

SIB-ZOD

Hi,

New member/new poster.
I have a 30 HP Johnson motor which is ex-military. It has what appears to be exhaust outlets on either side in a crosslike formation. I have asked multiple outboard engine mechanics but none can explain exactly what these are and why they would be added to the outboard in that position? Wondering if anyone could
assist in this. Please see picsoutboard johnsn.jpg

Thanks.

Model # of this motor ?------I doubt that military folks would try to make a motor to be loud.-----They generally do not announce that they are on their way !!----Any other pictures of " military " features on this motor ?-----Post a few of the powerhead.

Model # of this motor ?------I doubt that military folks would try to make a motor to be loud.-----They generally do not announce that they are on their way !!----Any other pictures of " military " features on this motor ?-----Post a few of the powerhead.

Racerone

Thanks for the response. I purchased it from an Army surplus auction. I thought it odd also, as it is not a quiet outboard. Here are some other pics including serial and model.
Ill get some powerhead pics later today to add

Attachments

• outbser.jpg
    outbser.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 46
  • outboard4 jj.jpg
    outboard4 jj.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 39
  • outboard j2.jpg
    outboard j2.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Just a 30 HP motor that was " butchered " by someone.----There is nothing to suggest that this is a military motor !----Model number is for a recreational model as well.

Just a 30 HP motor that was " butchered " by someone.----There is nothing to suggest that this is a military motor !----Model number is for a recreational model as well.

Thanks Racerone,

What would be the purpose of doing that to the motor? When running it seems to act as the exhaust. I have also attached the powerhead and prop pics.

Attachments

• powerhead3.jpg
    powerhead3.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 30
  • powerhd 2.jpg
    powerhd 2.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 40
  • powerhd 1.jpg
    powerhd 1.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 37
The extra noise makes it sound / go faster !!------I think about 3 -1/2 MPH faster.-----Also has a propeller guard that slows it down again.----There is nothing military on this motor.

The extra noise makes it sound / go faster !!------I think about 3 -1/2 MPH faster.-----Also has a propeller guard that slows it down again.----There is nothing military on this motor.

Hi racerone,

Is there anyway to undo the setup and if so, any advantage?

Thanks

Back