Logo

HELP!! 9.9 ignition coil problem***********

mbree64

The coil (04303-zw9-000) for this engine (2002) is no longer availible. Went to my local dealer and told out of luck. Scoured the internet , no luck , no aftermarket available that i could see. Has anyone used a new coil 05 -07? they look the same but i know that does not necessarily mean anything. Any help other than buying a new motor would be much appreciated!

Well----It is easier to get coils for a 1956 Johnson 10 HP than a modern Honda.----But call a few experienced Honda dealers.----Someone knows what will fit / adapt to your motor.----And what testing has been done to confirm that your coil is bad ?

As racerone asks, what is wrong with your coil? Did it fail ohm testing?

I haven't tried using a newer coil as a replacement for a discontinued one but the coils for the older 15 and 20 horsepower have been discontinued too. I tell you this because I own a 20D and have a late edition shop manual that lists the resistance values for the coil and I see nothing to indicate that those values have changed from the previous models.

Having said that I can only tell you that, if it were me, I wouldn't hesitate to try the "later" part numbered coil. But ONLY if I had first tested and confirmed my old coil had failed. Then, it would still be a bit of a gamble but one that I would be willing to try.

Not the answer you wanted, I know, but that's the only one I can give.

Good luck and please update with what you decide to do.

Back