Logo

Gauges

New problem with 93 Stingray. Will crank, but won't start and now gauges don't work at all. I doubt these 2 issues are related. I'll go through TB IV ignition issues, but uncertain about whereby begin with gauge issues. Before all this happened, I towed boat to lake couple hours away over very hilly town and county roads. No highways from point A to B.

gauges turn on with the ign switch. no gauges ,no power to engine from the key. Do you have 12v at the purple wire at the key switch?

The key switch has 3 main wires,

Red, battery +
Purple - ignition on- which powers gauges.
Yellow with red stripe- crank/start. Goes thru neutral safety then to starter circiut.

Some dashes may have a fuse that could blow and you loose dash panel power but most do not have this.

Also look at big black wire harness connector at engine.
Disconnect (make sure it is done with engine OFF)
Then plug back in and see if you get power back.

Been away from boat for few days. Embarrassed to say pushed reset button behind carb and now hauges work, and it cranks.amd.almost starts. Drained gas tank several weeks ago and ran beautifully until now. Decided to put in can of SeaFoam because of gas grade differences .It ran fine on muffs in driveway. Towed it long distance, launched and started and died
Ran well lat.home but rougher than it had been,following carburetor rebuild
Please help.

Remove and inspect the spark plugs. Their condition will tell you what is going on in each cylinder. All plugs should be tan to light brown. Rounded electrode is a worn plug. They are cheap maintenance. Black soot on plugs the carb is running too rich. Adjust choke if it still works. They wear out too.

Back