Logo

MFS20E Break In ESG Issues

ECGladesmen

Hi all,

I am two hours into the break-in period on my brand new Tohatsu 20hp 4 stroke. I have been following the recommendations found in the manual for break in period. I'm between hour 2 and three and whenever I try to bring motor up in RPMs the ESG kicks in at approx 2800-3000rpm. Background is motor oil level is 3/4 between min and max marks using 10W-30. Motor is mounted on boat but being run in a large trash can with constant cool water circulating in it and not for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Using brand new fuel system with 89 octane, all vents open. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

B

What makes you think it's hitting the rev limiter? What are you using for a tachometer? The ESG should engage above 6000 RPM. The prop can blow the water out of the barrel and over rev or suck air. Does it do it in neutral?

What makes you think it's hitting the rev limiter? What are you using for a tachometer? The ESG should engage above 6000 RPM. The prop can blow the water out of the barrel and over rev or suck air. Does it do it in neutral?

Thanks for the help! Im using a Tiny Tach I installed. At ~2800-3000RPM the warning light comes on and the motor acts like it is missing a spark. I've read that the low RPM ESG would kick on at this speed indicating potential oil pressure, temp, etc. The motor will do it in neutral as well as in forward gear.:confused:

Thanks for your help Paul. My local service center is backed up three weeks unfortunately. Waiting for a call back to bring it in. Such a bummer with a brand new motor!

You can use a cheap IR thermometer to check temp. Should be about 150F. You can also temporarily install an oil pressure gauge to check oil pressure. The dealer can connect a laptop to see what is causing the ESG to engage.

You can use a cheap IR thermometer to check temp. Should be about 150F. You can also temporarily install an oil pressure gauge to check oil pressure. The dealer can connect a laptop to see what is causing the ESG to engage.

I have the same engine and experiencing the same condition, feels like it's missing spark, hard stumble, light comes on at the same RPM. My engine is broken in; when decelerate from WOT, it feels like spark drops at around 3000 RPM. The engine will eventually run smooth, but the light is still on. I have the same tach. Check my post.

I found if I decelerate slowly, I don't have the same problem. My dealer is backed up till Oct. Is your engine a 2021 model?

PVANT, does the shop manual explain where to install an oil pressure gauge?

Back