Logo

Prop for 8hp Evinrude

MC1600

Hey all, long time lurker/searcher, first time poster. I’ve searched through every post I can think of, but am afraid this question is a bit specific.

I’ve got an ‘86 Evinrude 8HP pushing a 10’ RIB. Motor runs great. Does everything she should. Just me, it planes great (if I lean forward). Me and my daughter, planes even better. As soon as we add a third person, though, the motor still spools up fine, but it just barely won’t push the boat onto plane. And I mean JUST barely. I considered moving to a 9.9, but realized since I’m so close, propping might fix my issue.

The motor currently has P/N 390237 (8.5x9). Would switching to the 8x7 offered as the other option for the motor on this site help or hurt my situation? Looks like a 9.25x6.5 was once an option too. Any other thoughts on propping adjustments I could make to squeeze just a hair more out of her?

So I'm going to go ahead and answer my own question...decreasing the pitch on this motor did nothing more than make it spin way too fast (upwards to 6500RPM) with a noticeable drop in torque/speed. The exact opposite effect I had hoped for. Next step is going to try a bigger motor!

Back