Logo

Old 70s Chysler carb

Siniscta

Hi All!

I have an old carb that is leaking gas out of this hole. I circled it in the attatched photo. Left a puddle of gas inside cowl. Why is this happening? Is there supposed to be a plug there? Just cleaned and rebuilt carb. I planned on giving this motor to my nephew so I'm really bummed. Thanks guys!

IMG_1206.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1207.JPG
    IMG_1207.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 26
Ok. So I took off the bowl to inspect valve seat, bowl, needle, etc.. When I unscrewed the valve seat I noticed 2 things down inside the hole: 1. A tiny brass washer and 2. A black rubber stopper with a pin size hole in it (I assume to let fuel pass). The black stopper was on the bottom and the brass ring rested on top of it. Please check out the pictures. So I looked at the manuel and it was waaay confusing!!! It called for a washer but the picture of it was not very descriptive. What should I do, put both of them back or just one. If just one, which one. I did rebuild this and maybe I wasn't supposed to have both of them in there. I'll incude a picture of the manuel also.

Thanks Tim

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1208.jpg
    IMG_1208.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 26
The needle was it a solid needle(should be).
They use 2 kinds, one is solid the other has a rubber tip.
I've not seen one with a washer just the rubber seal.
What year, horsepower and model #?
I have a bunch of new, old stock parts and if I can figure out the part #s I'll check and see if the repair kit has a brass washer?
Does the seal fit inside the washer? The washer(from the pic) looks like it has a lip that can hold the seal.
Add a pic of a side view of the washer/seal.

Hi Jerry! Thanks For the help

1. The needle is solid and appears to be in good shape. I was planning on cleaning the carb, replacing the seat and needle, and adjusting the float.
2. The carb came off a 93HB serial number 3054. The numbers /letters on the carb are CO3A. It's going on a 92HE serial number 6496. Both early 70s motor.
3. The seal does not fit securely into the washer. The washer just sits nicely on top of the seal and does not block the pin hole in the seal. The washer does have a small lip but I can not tell if it was originally there or it just formed after use. Just want to replace it anyway.

I found the application in a Sierra cataloge but came across this: 9.9 92/93HB ➃ / 92/93HB ➄. One model number is followed by a 4 with a circle around it and the same model number is listed with a 5 with a circle around it. What does that mean? Anyway if you have the parts I'm your guy.

Thanks Tim

Attachments

• IMG_1210.jpg
    IMG_1210.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 20
The difference in the #4 and the #5 is the 5 is a newer model.
I'll look up these motor/model and see if I have the parts?? Both are 1971 models.
Do you have the part #s?
Finding parts diagrams for something past 1974 can be hard :(
I'll see what I can find.

The difference in model #s can be something as simple as they changed a screw???

Back