Logo

M40C will not accellerate

Duck Dingy

So I think my frustration is clouding sound mechanical skill. Here goes.....M40C, new tank w/50:1 non-ethanol VP 94 Octane, new fuel pump, new filter, carb dissassebled and sat overnight in berrymens, then jets cleaned with wire and carb sprayed the all parts and reassemble with rebuild kit, main jet is 212 since i'm at 4000+ ft elevation, new plugs (oem), both cylinders have 95lbs compression. Will start and idle just fine. The instant I attempt to throttle up, it falls on its face and dies. Completely flooded. Maybe timing? I'm at a complete loss. Would hate to run just my trolling motor when i have 40 hp at my disposal. Please help!!

Does not sound flooded. Do the plugs come out wet? Actually sounds like the low speed circuit is way too lean. I would re-clean the carb and verify float height.

After “running” with the new plugs for 20 minutes, pulled them both and they are wet. Diode on both is already almost black. NGK B7HS. Float is level with the housing.

Never ever use any kind of wire to clean jets. The micro scratches will mess them up. What diodes?
Is the choke working correctly?

I misspoke. The center electrode and surrounding porcelain are already black. The choke is properly functioning. Used during cold start and shut off choke 5 seconds after firing. I can pull the choke and kill the engine once running.

I start at 1.5 out and keep going in .5 increments with no luck. The idle speed doesn’t change when I’m adjusting it either. I try accelerating after every .5 turn with no difference. Still bogs every time.

I have a 1977 Johnson 75 hp Stinger. I've had some real fun trying to figure this thing out. I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but extremely green when it comes to boats. So my question is. Is it normal for gas to leak out of the carburetors when I tilt the outboard and lock it in place? I don't think it is. However my neighbor said it is. Also what years are compatible with the lower unit on the Stinger being a 20" gearcase. When I bought this boat from an old man about month ago. He said that the boat was gone through and he had the paperwork. When I read what was serviced on the boat was done back in 2019. So I drained the oil on the lower unit and there was metal stuck on the plug. After looking all over the internet for a lower unit and not finding one, though I remember reading somewhere that multiple years used this same gearbox, but I'm not able to locate that information again. I would appreciate some insight on any and all of these questions, thank you.

Back