Logo

2012 9.8 tohatsu 4 stroke

Raystown

2012 9.8 tohatsu 4 stroke.Remote controls. Used as a kicker. Ran fine. Got done trolling with it. Did some drift fishing. Left to go back to cabin and forgot to raise for a couple hundred yards when I remembered about raising. Didn’t think anything more about it till next morning when I went to troll. Motor was locked up tight. Took cover off and after flipping things around flywheel, it would turn over but not start. Took plugs and they appear to be dry. Spark maybe weak but there is spark. When I turn it over after sitting for a day, it makes a sound like it’s going to fire up ,but only once then it just cranks

I dug a little deeper. Gas is getting to carb. Took plugs out and put two eye droppers of gas in. Starts but runs rough, maybe just because it’s cold, not sure. Don’t see any adjusting screws on carb? Thanks

Hmmmm. That might explain why the oil level is high? Is there some sort of safety switch that would not let it start because of this?
thank you
Doug

Hey Paul,
Definitely water in the oil. Got new oil in, but still not firing. Plugs are dry. Could the water in there have done any other damage? It hasn’t run since this began and I really haven’t cranked that much.
Thanks

Doug

Yikes! Ok, thanks Paul! I’ll have to take it to the shop then, that’s a little beyond what I can fix I think
thanks again!
Doug

To do the magneto key, you need to pop the flywheel. Then it's a $2 part.
I have seen overfilled 9.8s shear that key if they are electric start.

It is electric start with remote controls. I took it to where I bought boat and motor yesterday after you said about that. I probably could’ve done that☹️ We’ll it’s in their hands now. Hopefully that’s all they find.
Thanks for your help. They said about a week and half till they can get to it. I’ll let you know what they find.
Doug

Last edited:
Surprised to get a call this morning from the marina. They checked motor and only found water in the carb? Weird. I always keep conditioner in the tank and can’t imagine it got pushed the whole way though the system from leaving it down? Anyhow, thanks for the info!
Doug

Are you saying that it pushed water clear back through the pistons,valves then into the carb, when engine was left down? If so, that’s crazy! I didn’t know it would be that extreme. Thanks!
Doug

Back