Logo

This carb isn’t made anymore? 1998 crusader champion 350 RED

Gibby1234

I will post separate about the broader issue with my starboard engine. But I can’t seem to find what jolley carb I can replace this one with?

669DE105-59F1-417F-95D2-732D63829910.jpg

Should be able to find a rebuild kit, and they're relatively easy to rebuild.

Personally, I'd replace it with a Quadrajet, or a Holley 4150 marine carb. Either way, unless you rebuild your current carb, you'll have to make a couple new fuel lines

Thank you for the response. I will need two new fuel lines because the location of the fuel inlets will be different on the quadrajet or the holley 4150? Do the lines need to be steel like I have today? That will seem to require someone who knows how to bend steel for this application?

you can buy a 'flex' line that will make bending a mute point - look for one of the versions of sierra's line - #18-8115 as an example. our host usually has them in stock.

You don't need a dual inlet version...a single is adequate. I'd also suggest vacuum secondaries...

Thank you. Super helpful. I was looking at what a new jolley costs and they have 2 versions of the marine 4150 with electric choke and mechanical secondary. One is 600 cfm the other is 800 cfm. Both have dual fuel ports.

which one is compatible with my current engine? Btw this assumes I rule out the fuel pump and a rebuild.

Attachments

• E409B802-A923-442A-B66A-BBC972578D0A.jpg
    E409B802-A923-442A-B66A-BBC972578D0A.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 42
a 350 CID engine in an inboard configuration doesn't need much more than 400 CFM...so anything more is 'wasted'....that said, most factory selections use 600 CFM carbs on the small blocks.

I'd go with an electric choke and vacuum secondaries....

There is nothing really wrong with the 4160's....

FWIW, unless the baseplate is leaking gas out of the throttle linkage, I'd strongly consider a rebuild. I rebuilt my first carb at 17 years old, with the provided instructions on the Holley package. Only thing that was somewhat tough was setting the a/f mixture, and setting the needle and seat/float, but you'll have to do that with a new carb anyhow.

The rebuild kit costs $50, and it shouldn't take you more than an hour.

Ah there is difference between mechanical and vacuum secondaries. The 4160's are ok with my 350 engine? They have the vacuum secondary and one gas inlet (easier to install).

the vacuum secondaries will be much more user friendly on a boat...they will open the throttle valve as the engine requires (assuming the carb is tuned correctly)...

If you go with a replacement, get it sized correctly...don't buy any more "flow" than the engine needs...

thank you. one issue I have with that approach is I can't seem to find the model number on the existing carb. Therefore, I do not know what rebuild kit to buy, nor the instructions.

I would for sure try a rebuild first. Remember 95% of it is in the cleaning the rest is replacing old stuff like the needle valves, seats, floats etc. I did that with a 30 year old Quadrajet and it turned out well.

Back