Logo

2015 tohatsu 9.8 stops running with closed choke

Dai20bt

My 2015 tohatsu 9.8, electric start, connected to main or external tanks: It starts fine on wide open choke, but when I close choke after a minute, engine putters out. I cleaned carb, but same thing still happens. I'm wondering if fuel line assembly needs replacing. Any guidance on what to do next?

I think you mean when you OPEN the choke. I suppose the correct model is MFS9.8B.
What method did you use to clean the carburetor?

I think you mean when you OPEN the choke. I suppose the correct model is MFS9.8B.
What method did you use to clean the carburetor?

It starts when I pull choke out (not sure if that opens/closes). When I push choke in, motor stops running.
I disassembled carburetor and sprayed down with carb cleaner, brushed components with plastic brush, dried, then reassembled.

Pulling out closes the choke to richen the mix.
Clearly you are way too lean from varnishing in the tiny passages. spraying like that just makes it shiny.
You need to clean the carb properly. Than means a complete disassembly of all jets and the emulsion tube nozzle. Then soak all non rubber bits in real carb dip, available in 1-gal cans at auto parts houses, overnight, to soften the varnishing. Then blow out every passage liberally with carb spray. Then reassemble.

Ok will reclean carb again. any chance the fuel pump, or fuel assembly needs replacing with these symptoms, or is this classic case of clogged carburetor?

Not if it works OK with choke. It's a dirty carb. In the future, never leave gas in the carb longer than overnight; either drain it or run it dry.

Back