Logo

Carburetor not getting gas!

Jdawg87

Hey guys, I’m new here and looking for a little advice. I have a 1987 bay liner with a Volvo penta 2.3. The boat turns over fine and fires great with a little shot of starting fluid. I am 100% positive that there is fresh gas in the tank but for some reason the gas isn’t making it to the carb. I pulled off the fuel line and it’s dry as a bone. On the bottom right and side of the carb, there appears to be possibly some type of vacuum or mechanical fuel pump? Does not appear to be electronic though. I am looking for any advice as to where I should be headed with this project. Thank you in advance for any useful information.

Try the simple things first. Is the tap on top of the fuel tank open? Does gasoline get to the fuel/water separator filter? Does gasoline get from there to the fuel pump? How about from the fuel pump to the inline filter? Maybe you'll find the blockage if you go thru it methodically. Could also be a failed fuel pump.

That’s the other odd thing, I don’t see a separator or in line filter. It looks like it’s just a fuel lone that goes from the top of the fuel tank right to the pump. Unless a filter or separator would be inside the tank.

Filters or separators never in tank. Another possibility plugged/stuck anti siphon valve ( located on to of tank).... HOWEVER.... I'm a big fan of checking stupid stuff... Does this boat have a gas shut off valve and ifso is it "open"...

Anti siphon valves are located immediately on the gas tank outlet. These are required if the gas tank outlet point is above the inlet on the engine.

Pull the line from the tank at the fuel pump and have someone crank her over. See if you are getting any suction. The diaphragms in the old mechanical pumps go bad all the time. They most often show leaking externally which is always obvious, but I've seen some leak internally. No real sign other than no fuel pressure, and maybe a tad of fuel smell in your oil. They are known to fail parts, and if yours has somehow made it since 1987 it's lived a full life.

Last edited:
Back